- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Did you know...
Personal Camera Use
Please consult with a member of the library staff before taking any photographs.
1) Photography of library collections is permitted for personal use only; images may not be copied or distributed in any form.
2) Images for publication, exhibition, or other use must be requested through the Imaging Services Department. For more information, please see: Imaging Services.
There is a fee of 50 cents per image. Please track your images on the Personal Camera Use form and submit it with your payment before leaving the library. The library accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
Policies and Procedures:
1) You must read and sign the Personal Camera Use form before taking any photographs.
2) Permission to photograph collections may be limited depending on copyright status, condition of materials, and other restrictions.
3) A transparent overlay of the MdHS seal must be included in each photograph. Images may not be cropped or otherwise altered.
4) Flash must be disabled. Cameras whose flashes cannot be disabled may not be used.
5) All cameras must be hand-held. Only still-cameras are allowed. No additional equipment, including stands or lighting, may be used.
6) Manuscripts, maps, broadsides and similar items must be kept flat on the table during photography. Books and other bound materials must be photographed while in a cradle.
7) The photographer may not try to get a wider field of view by placing materials on the floor or standing on a chair.
8) The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material; researchers using a camera to copy library materials are liable for any infringement.
Please consult the Research Programs and Services page for more information.