- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Sulpician Archives Collection - PP89
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
SULPICIAN ARCHIVES COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, August 1999
In 1789, Pope Pius VI established Baltimore as the seat of the first diocese in the United States, appointing Fr. John Carroll of Upper Marlboro, Md. as its first bishop. Until 1846, Baltimore was the nations only archidiocese, and was, accordingly, the site of synods and councils of national significance in the establishment of guidelines for practice of the Catholic faith in America during the period 1791-1886. Three plenary councils were held in Baltimore (1852, 1866, and 1884), the last of which was presided over by Archbishop Gibbons.
The 9th Archbishop of the Baltimore See, James Gibbons was born in Baltimore in 1834, to parents Thomas and Bridget (Walsh) Gibbons, emigrants from Ireland. James Gibbons attended St. Charles College in Ellicott City, then St. Marys Seminary in Baltimore, becoming ordained as a priest in 1861. After an active and itinerant early career (serving parishes in Baltimore and as chaplain at Fort McHenry, secretary to Archbishop Spalding, Bishop of the Vicariate of North Carolina, prelate to the First Vatican Council in Rome, Bishop of Richmond, Virginia, co-adjutor archbishop of Baltimore), he succeeded Archbishop Bayley in 1877 as Archbishop of the Baltimore See, becoming its first cardinal in 1886.
The Society of Saint Sulpice originated in Paris, France, founded in 1642 by Father Jean Jacques Olier as an order of secular priests charged with training young men for the priesthood as well as missionary work. A seminary established by the Society took its name from the Paris parish of Saint Sulpice, becoming a model for seminaries around the world. To preserve the Society during the French Revolution in the face of attacks on the Catholic Church, clergy were moved to North America, and a group of Sulpician priests sent to Baltimore, the recently established episcopal see headed by Bishop John Carroll. Shortly after his appointment to the Bishopry in 1789, Carroll arranged with the Sulpician Fathers to establish an ecclesiastical seminary in Baltimore, to be funded by the Sulpicians; soon after, a site was purchased at the "One Mile Tavern" (Paca St. and Pennsylvania Ave.) along with four acres of land, and St. Mary's Seminary was opened in July 1791. The first seminary in the United States, it was an extension of the Seminary of Saint Sulpice in Paris, and was headed by Frenchman Father Charles Nagot and several of his associates.
With financial difficulties stemming from low numbers of students threatening the survival of the seminary in Baltimore, the preparation of young men for seminary study became an issue. Starting in 1803, the Sulpicians operated St. Marys College in Baltimore, geared to preparatory study for seminary, but providing a European-style education to boys of all faiths. After the college closed in 1852, the gap in pre-seminary education was filled by St. Charles College, created in 1830 on land in Howard County donated to the Sulpicians by Charles Carroll, although financial difficulties forced delay of its opening until 1848. St. Charles College remained at its original site in Ellicott City until destroyed by fire in 1911, after which it was located at Maiden Choice Lane in Catonsville (Baltimore Co.), until closing in 1969.
Gift of the Sulpician Archives, 1984 (000801).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 40 glass negatives, of which 34 have modern prints housed in 1 box with 2 folders. The photographs depict the St. Marys Seminary at Paca St. and Pennsylvania Ave., and most originated in ca. 1891, some depicting activities surrounding the Seminarys Centennial celebration in 1891. There are interior and exterior views of the campus, including chapels and classrooms. There are also group portraits of Cardinal James Gibbons and seminary faculty, and a photo of bishops at the 3rd Plenary Council in Baltimore, 1884. Some images depict an excursion to the St. Charles College in Ellicott City. There are also reproductions of paintings, which are portraits and devotional images.
Note: Related materials can be found at the Sulpician Archives of Baltimore, the official repository for the historical records of St. Mary's Seminary and University (Roland Park and Paca Street), St. Mary's College (1799-1852), the former St. Charles' College, and other institutions operated by the Sulpician Fathers in the U.S. and elsewhere. The Sulpician Archives of Baltimore is located at 711 Maiden Choice Lane, Baltimore, MD 21228, telephone (410) 242-4499.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog numbers. The glass negatives are arranged according to negative catalog numbers.
Box 1: 2 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP89.1 Joubert de la Muraialle, James Hector Marie (1777-1843), n.d., painting. Neg Z9.2191.
PP89.2 Chapel of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2192.
PP89.3 Lourdes Grotto, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2193.
PP89.4 Grounds and buildings, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2194.
PP89.5 Grounds and chapel, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2195.
PP89.6 Science lab, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2196.
PP89.7 Library, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2197.
PP89.8 Front of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2198.
PP89.9 Group of seminarians, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., not after 1890. Neg Z9.2199.
PP89.10 Bishops, 3rd Plenary Council at Baltimore, 1884. Neg Z9.2200.
PP89.11 Chapel, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1854.
PP89.12 Philosophers Chapel, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2201.
PP89.13 Front entrance, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1855.
PP89.14 Latin banner, 1752 print, baptismal certificate for Iroquois virgins. Neg Z7.1856.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP89.15 Cardinal Gibbons and others (group portrait), St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2202.
PP89.16 Altar in yard of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2203.
PP89.17 Faculty (group portrait) behind chapel, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2204.
PP89.18 Faculty (group portrait), St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2205.
PP89.19 Science (physics) classroom, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2206.
PP89.20 Architects drawing of projected chapel, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., n.d. Neg Z9.2207.
PP89.21 Grounds of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., from building on Pennsylvania Ave. (Old Philosophy House), ca. 1891. Neg Z9.2208.
PP89.22 A departure from St. Charles College, Ellicott City, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1857.
PP89.23 A departure from St. Charles College, Ellicott City, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1858.
PP89.24 Towers of St. Charles College, from rear across fields, Ellicott City, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1859.
PP89.25 Ellicott City Railroad Station, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1860.
PP89.26 Chapel and early building of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1862.
PP89.27 Rear of chapel of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1863.
PP89.28 Lourdes Grotto, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1864.
PP89.29 Cemetery of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., moved to Catonsville, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1865.
PP89.30 Entrance of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., decorated for 1891 Centennial. Neg Z7.1866.
PP89.31 Centennial hall, St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., 1891 (courtyard walled in and roofed over). Neg Z7.1867.
PP89.32 View to west from roof of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1868.
PP89.33 View to northwest from roof of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1869.
PP89.34 View to east from roof of St. Marys Seminary, Paca St., including Johns Hopkins University, ca. 1891. Neg Z7.1870.
Negatives for which no modern print exists
Z7.1861 Virgin Mary, n.d., painting.
Z8.1598 St. Peter, n.d., painting.
Z8.1599 St. Paul, n.d., painting.
Z8.1600 St. Peter, n.d., painting.
Z8.1601 Greenhouse, St. Marys Seminary Chapel.
Z8.1602 St. Paul, n.d., painting. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT