Lucas Brothers, Incorporated Manuscript Collection, MS 3174

Finding Aid to the Lucas Brothers, Incorporated Manuscript Collection, MS 3174  

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

 

Collection summary

Title

Lucas Brothers, Incorporated Manuscript Collection

Creator

Lucas Bros., Inc.

Call number

MS 3174

Inclusive dates

1816-1964

Bulk dates

1926-1964

Extent

3 boxes

Abstract

Contains business papers, ephemera, publications, and scrapbooks related to Lucas Bros., Inc., a stationery company in Baltimore, Maryland.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

Permission to quote must be received in writing from the Special Collections Librarian.

Provenance

Gift of Alan Behrend, November 24, 2003.

Accession number

6893

Processing note

Processed by Lara Westwood, June, 2015

Historical Note

The business that would become Lucas Brothers, Incorporated was founded in 1804 in Baltimore, Maryland by Fielding Lucas, Jr. Lucas purchased the stationery and publishing firm of Campbell, Conrad and Company, which was located at 138 Market Street (now 116 East Baltimore Street), where business remained there until 1904, when the building was destroyed by the Great Baltimore Fire. Lucas’ company primarily published illustrated maps and atlases. His sons, William F., Edward, and Henry A., organized Lucas Brothers in 1853, which was later acquired solely by William.

The company grew into a stationary retailer, printing shop, used furniture dealer, and cabinet maker. It became a one stop shop for office supply needs and even offered interior design services for office spaces. The main retail store in Baltimore occupied 219-221-223 and 225 East Baltimore Street. Retail stores were also opened in Baltimore County but were sold in 1994. Lucas Brothers folded shortly after.

Scope and Content

The collection contains business papers, ephemera, publications, and scrapbooks related to Lucas Bros., Inc., a stationery company in Baltimore, Maryland. This includes bills and contracts, product catalogs, articles about Lucas Bros., and advertisements and mailers for the company. A brief outline of the company’s history written in 1939 may be of particular interest. The collection also features publications from the Stationers’ Guild of America, from which Lucas Bros. bought products and received endorsement. Directories of American stationers are included in the collection, along with catalogs of Guild products.

The collection is arranged in four series, business papers, ephemera, publications, and scrapbooks, which are reflective of the materials’ subjects and formats. Within the series, the materials have then been organized by date. Photographs from this collection were removed to PP300

Container List

Contents

Dates

Box

Folder

Series I: Business Papers

 

 

 

Bills, checks, and receipts

1816-1873

1

1

Will of Fielding Lucas

1854, March 28

1

2

Letter to the office staff from William F. Lucas

1926, July 6

1

3

Newspaper clippings

1928-1935

1

4

Contracts

1931-1935

1

5

History of the Lucas Bros.

1939

1

6

Building plans

1946

1

7

Series II: Ephemera

 

 

 

Lucas Bros. Ephemera

No date; 1929-1954

1

8

Lucas Bros. catalog

1929

1

9

Miscellaneous

No date

1

10

Series III: Publications

 

 

 

Articles about Lucas Bros.

1930-1940

2

11

Articles about Lucas Bros.

1954

2

12

Articles about Lucas Bros.

1961-1964

2

13

Guild publications

No date

2

14

Guild publications

1923-1949

2

15

Series IV: Scrapbooks

 

 

 

Monogram and letterhead scrapbook

No date

3

 

Advertisements scrapbook

1929

3

 

Mailers scrapbook

1929

3

 

Mailers scrapbook

1930-1931

3

 

 

 

 

Games