- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- Historical Investigations Portal
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Programs
- Homeschool Programs
- Scouts at MdHS
- Birthdays at The Museum
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
The Ladies Relief of the Free Summer Excursion Society Manuscript Collection, 1881-1958, MS 3161
Finding Aid to the Ladies Relief of the Free Summer Excursion Society Manuscript Collection, 1881-1958, MS 3161
H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society
Ladies Relief of the Free Summer Excursion Society Manuscript Collection
Free Summer Excursion Society
1 box, 5 folders
Contains annual reports for the Free Summer Excursion Society and a minute book for the Ladies Relief
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Open to the public without restrictions.
Permission to quote must be received in writing from the Special Collections Librarian.
Gift of Rhoda M. Dorsey, August 5, 2014
Processed by Lara Westwood, August, 2014
The Free Summer Excursion Society was founded in Baltimore, Maryland by John T. Ford in 1870. The charitable organization would coordinate trips out of the city for less-privileged residents. Each summer, women and their children were selected to participate in day trips to the countryside surrounding the city. The group focused on providing these excursions to families with sickly children would benefit from the fresh air. The Ladies Relief would walk the city’s neighborhoods giving out tickets to needy families.
In the early years of the group, the participants were taken to Hall’s Springs, located off of Harford Road. The Society would provide transportation, food, and a day of fun and relaxation. Richard D. Fisher leased a portion of his property on Bear Creek to the Society in 1880 for a penny a year. The area became known as “Chesterwood.” The F. C. Latrobe, a municipally owned steamboat, was rented by the Society to take the groups to the resort. The excursions ended when the F. C. Latrobe was taken out of commission. The organization could not afford to rent the replacement boat, and excursions to “Chesterwood” ended in 1959.
Scope and Content
The collection contains annual reports for the Free Summer Excursion Society and a minute book for the Ladies Relief. The minute book includes accounts of meetings held by the Ladies Relief of the Society. Clippings about the Society are also pasted onto the last few pages of the minute book. A newspaper article from Leslie’s Weekly on August 5, 1905 reports on the Society’s mission.
Provision Committee roster
Leslie Weekly newspaper article
August 10, 1905