- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
La Paix Collection - PP105
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
LA PAIX COLLECTION
Not dated (ca. 1910)
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland HIstorical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, May 2000
The house called La Paix was designed by J. Appleton Wilson for the Lawrence Turnbull family in 1885. Located on York Road near Sheppard Station in Towson (Baltimore County, Md.), La Paix was destroyed in 1964 and the site now contains St. Josephs Hospital.
Lawrence Turnbull (d. 1919) was a lawyer and publisher, son of Henry C. and Anna Graeme Turnbull, whose siblings included the sculptor Grace Turnbull. He married the writer Francese Hubbard Litchfield Turnbull (d. 1927) in 1871, and together they established the Turnbull Lectureship on Poetry at the Johns Hopkins University in memory of a son who died in childhood. Making their home at 1530 Park Ave. in Baltimore and at La Paix, their children were Edwin L., Bayard (d. 1954), Eleanor L. and Grace H. (1880-1976). Grace Turnbull was well known as a sculptor.
Gift of Harry M. Murdock, 1979 (74770).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box of 8 large format photographs which are undated but thought to have been made in ca. 1910. The photographs, made by Getz, are 18.5 x 24 cm. and mounted on boards 32 x 38 cm. All document La Paix, including interior and exterior views. Some images show people who are mostly identified.
Arrangement unknown. Inventory from accession document.
Inventory from accession document:
1. Front steps, porch, second story.
2. Front hall with mantel and staircase.
3. Sitting room (?), dining room visible in background.
4. Group on porch, includes Bayard and Francese Turnbull.
5. Closer view of a group on porch, includes Bayard and Francese Turnbull.
6. Group on porch having coffee, left to right: Andrews or Turnbull, Francese Turnbull, Bayard Turnbull, unknown women.
7. Exterior of house, front and side façade; people visible on porch and balcony.
8. Exterior of house from distance showing lawn and drive. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT