Homeland Photograph Collection, PP192

Finding Aid to the Homeland Photograph Collection, PP192

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

Collection summary

Title

Homeland Photograph Collection

Call number

PP192

Inclusive dates

1891, 1903, 1920

Extent

2 boxes

Abstract

This collection consists of 37 photographs of “Homeland,” the Baltimore country estate of the Perine family.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

For information about how to purchase digital reproductions and for permission information, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page

Provenance

Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Milton C. Lang, 8 March 1977

Accession number

73012

Processing note

Processing begun ca 2000; Processed completed by Damon Talbot, October 2014

Related Collections

PP41 Perine Collection; furniture from the Estate was given to MHS (see Gallery Dept.)

Historical Note

“Homeland” was the Baltimore country estate of the Perine family, bound on the west by Charles Street and the east by York Road. The land had numerous owners from 1694, when the original patent was issued to Job Evans, until it fell into the care of the Perine family in 1799.  David Maulden Perine bought the land from his step-father in 1832 and bought more land; by 1875 the estate encompassed 391 acres and Perine named it “Homeland.”  After Perine’s death, his son Elias Glen Perine managed the estate until his death in 1922. In 1924 the Roland Park Company began developing the estate.

The original buildings included several manor houses, the house of the caretaker (still in existence), stables, barns, a dairy, a nursery, and other outbuildings.  The grounds of the estate included lakes and springs, fields, orchards, and woods.  Prior to its development, parcels of land were donated or sold to the Church of the Redeemer, the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who established the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, and to the city for a library.

Scope and Content

The Homeland Photograph Collection consists of 2 boxes of 37 hand-colored photographs of Homeland and its grounds, dating 1891, 1903 and 1920. These were received framed (size: 34.4 x 21.7 cm) with engraved labels on each. The photograph descriptions are taken from the aforementioned labels.

Photographs have been removed from the frames since some of them were warping and/or tearing. Each photograph is mounted on cardboard. The reference to the mounting number is provided in the container list.

Download a PDF version of the finding aid.

Container List

Box 1

                 

PP192.1

Homeland ‑ 1891/Path by the Lakes/The "Indian" Spring (Mounting #1)

 

PP192.2

Homeland ‑ 1891/Path by the Lakes/The "Second" Lake (Mounting #2)

 

PP192.3

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from York Road/East of Stable (Mounting #3)

 

PP192.4

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/South of "Indian" Spring (Mounting #4)

 

PP192.5

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from York Road/East of Stone Bridge (Mounting #5)

 

PP192.6

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from York Road/at Stone Bridge (Mounting #6)

 

PP192.7

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from York Road/West of Stone Bridge (Mounting #7)

 

PP192.8

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Stable. Built in 1840./Looking West (Mounting #8)

 

PP192.9

Homeland ‑ July 12, 1920/Graveyard Looking East/Interments 1797‑1844 (Mounting #9)

 

PP192.10

Homeland ‑ 1891/Driveway from York Road/The Branch North of Stone Budge (Mounting #10)

 

PP192.11

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Barn, Built in 1840./Looking West (Mounting #11)

 

PP192.12

Homeland ‑ 1903/Alderney Bull/"Thomas" (Mounting #12)

 

PP192.13

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from York Road./Inside of Gate (Mounting #13)

PP192.14

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/The "First" Lake (Mounting #14)

 

PP192.15 Homeland ‑ 1903/Summer House. Built in 1895/Facing South (Mounting #38)

 

PP192.16

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Dairy, Built in 1840/Facing South (Mounting #16)

 

PP192.17

Homeland ‑ 1903/Wagon Shed. Built in 1840/Looking East (Mounting #17)

 

PP192.18

Homeland ‑ 1903/York Road Entrance/Opposite Harwood Ave. (Mounting #18)

 

PP192.19

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/The Fork (Mounting #19)

 

Box 2

 

PP192.20

Homeland ‑ 1903/(Upper) Charles St. Entrance/Looking East (Mounting #20)

 

PP192.21

Homeland ‑ 1903/(Upper) Charles St. Driveway/East from Cross Roads (Mounting #21)

 

PP192.22

Homeland - 1903/From Back Porch of [mansion] House/Looking North (Mounting #22)

 

PP192.23

Homeland ‑ 1903/From Front Porch of [mansion] House/ Looking South (Mounting #23)

 

PP192.24

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Mansion House ‑ Built 1846/Third House on same site (Mounting #24)

 

PP192.25

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from Charles Street/North from Cross Roads (Mounting #25)

 

PP192.26

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from Charles Street/South of Stable (Mounting #26)

 

PP192.27

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/The "Fifth" Lake (Mounting #27)

 

PP192.28

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Manager's House/Front. Facing North (Mounting #28)

 

PP192.29

Homeland ‑ 1903/Driveway from Charles Street/Inside of Gate (Mounting #29)

 

PP192.30

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/The North Side (Mounting #30)

 

PP192.31

Homeland ‑ 1903/The Manager's House/Back. Facing South (Mounting #31)

 

PP192.32

Homeland ‑ 1903/Summer House. Built in 1840./Facing South (Mounting #32)

 

PP192.33

Homeland ‑ 1903/Charles St. Avenue Entrance/Opposite Wyndhurst Avenue (Mounting #33)

 

PP192.34

Homeland ‑ 1891/Path by the Lakes/The "Banjo" Lake (Mounting #34)

 

PP192.35

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/at the "Wheel" House (Mounting #35)

 

PP192.36

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/North of York Road Driveway (Mounting #36)

 

PP192.37

Homeland ‑ 1903/Path by the Lakes/The "Island" Lake (Mounting #37)

Games