Ford Opera House Incorporated Collection, MS 3206

Finding Aid to the Ford Opera House Incorporated Collection, PP3206 

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

Download a PDF version of the finding aid

Collection summary 

Title

Ford Opera House Incorporated Collection

Creator

Ford Opera House Incorporated

Call number

MS 3206

Inclusive dates

1918-1928

Extent

1 box

Abstract

This collection contains three ledger books of the Ford Opera House Incorporated of Baltimore.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

For information about how to purchase digital reproductions and for permission information, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page

Provenance

Gift of Kathleen Leary, June 2017

Accession number

Acc# 2017-026-LIB

Processing note

Processed by Damon Talbot, June 2017

Historical Note

Ford’s Grand Opera House, located on West Fayette Street in Baltimore, was a major theatrical venue from it’s founding 1871 by theatre manager John T. Ford until its closing in 1964. Ford also owned Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C. the site of President Abraham Lincoln’s Assassination by John Wilkes Booth on April 9, 1865.

The Ford Opera House Incorporated was incorporated on July 27, 1918 under the laws of the State of Maryland. The corporation was established by John T. Ford's sons, John T. Ford Jr. and Charles Ford, along with James A. Richardson, to “conduct and operate theatres or playhouses; to conduct theatrical exhibitions and performances of every kind and character; to conduct dramatic, musical and operatic performances; [and] to carry on the business of furnishing entertainment to the public…” (Ford Opera House Incorporated Minute Book, 1918, MS 3206, Ledger 2)

Scope and Content

The Ford Opera House Incorporated Collection consists of one box of three ledgers of the Ford Opera House Incorporated in Baltimore. The ledgers contain minutes and financial records dating from 1918 – 1928.

Container List

Ledger 1

Financial ledger, August 1918 – July 1928

Ledger 2

Minute Book, November 1918 – May 1921

Ledger 3

 

Minute Book, August 1921 - January 1926

Games