Finding Aid to the Marjorie Martinet Manuscript Collection, 1909-1978, MS 3214

Finding Aid to the Marjorie Martinet Manuscript Collection, 1909-1978, MS 3214

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

 

Collection summary

Title

Marjorie Martinet Manuscript Collection

Creator

Martinet, Marjorie D. 

Call number

MS 3214

Inclusive dates

1909-1978

Bulk dates

1909-1978

Extent

1 box with 4 folders

Abstract

Contains the papers of Marjorie Martinet. This includes correspondence, financial documents, ephemera from organizations to which Martinet presumably belonged, and more

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

Permission to quote must be received in writing from the Special Collections Librarian.

Provenance

Gift of Andy Walker, July 17, 2015

Accession number

2015-044-LIB

Processing note

Processed by Michael Scott, April 2018

 

Biographical Note

 Marjorie Martinet (November 3, 1886- September 1, 1981) was an artist and art teacher who was born and raised in Baltimore. She attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia, where she met her eventual life partner, the prominent sculptor Beatrice Fenton, but graduated from the Maryland Institute (now MICA). Their relationship was the part of a 2014 exhibit about LGBT artists at the American Archives of American Art in Washington, DC. Martinet lived for many years with her parents at 4102 Ridgewood Avenue in Baltimore, and was actively involved with the Woman’s Literary Club of Baltimore. She was also a graduate of The Oldfields School in Glencoe, Maryland and maintained a close relationship with the school for many years. From 1910 until 1940, she also ran her own art school located at 516 N Charles Street, and later at 10 East Franklin Street in Baltimore. She seems to have moved to Philadelphia sometime in the late 1960s to live with Beatrice Fenton and Fenton’s sister, Doris, at 621 Westview Street. She appears to have died in Philadelphia, but is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Baltimore.

 

Related Collections

Marjorie Martinet Photograph Collection, ca. 1901-1963, PP327

 

Scope and Content

 The collection contains ephemera related to the Woman’s Club of Baltimore (WCB), correspondence (including many drafts of letters from Martinet) and ephemera related to the Oldfields School, drafts Martinet’s will and her tax records, and legal, tax documents, and ephemera related to Beatrice and Doris Fenton. Of particular interest are the WCB ephemera for women’s intellectual and social history in Baltimore, the legal documents relating to the Fentons (given Beatrice Fenton’s prominence as a sculptor), and correspondence with Oldfields School, especially regarding Martinet’s gift to the school in 1970, and damage from Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

 

Container List

Contents 

Dates 

Box 

Folder 

Woman’s Literary Club of Baltimore ephemera

1913-1916; 1928, one booklet has unknown date, but probably from this time period

1

1

Personal correspondence, legal documents, and other ephemera of Marjorie Martinet

1909-1976, followed by items of unknown dates

1

2

Legal and tax documents and ephemera, of or prepared by Beatrice or Doris Fenton

1968-1978, followed by items of unknown dates

1

3

Oldfields School correspondence and ephemera

1969-1974; followed by items of unknown dates

1

4