Finding Aid to the Daily Record Photograph Collection, 1953-1999, PP320

Finding Aid to the Daily Record Photograph Collection, 1953-1999, PP320

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

Collection summary

Title

Daily Record Photograph Collection

Creator

Daily Record

Call number

PP320

Inclusive dates

1953-1999

Bulk dates

1977-1999

Extent

42 boxes, 4 binders

Abstract

Contains the over 8,000 images taken by staff photographers. The collection is arranged in four series: Portraits; Buildings, Businesses, Events, Places; Negatives; and Prints. Portraits of prominent business people, lawyers, and other professionals from the 1970s to 1990s comprise the bulk of images.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

For information about how to purchase digital reproductions and for permission information, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page.

Provenance

Gift of The Daily Record, April 12, 2016

Accession number

2016-007-LIB

Processing note

Processed by Nicole Witte, Judith Halfrisch, and Lara Westwood, February 2018


Historical Note

The first issue of The Daily Record was published on October 2, 1888. Edwin Warfield founded the newspaper to exclusively cover “law, real estate, and finance” in Maryland. The Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 destroyed the paper’s headquarters at 124 East Fayette Street but it continued printing without missing an issue. The offices were moved to St. Paul Street until the building was demolished to widen the street. The paper then relocated to 15 East Saratoga Street, where it resided until 2016. The paper’s readership was comprised mainly of lawyers as it focused on publishing legal notices. The 1980s saw an expansion of coverage. Columns, news articles, and reviews became staples, and later Warfield’s magazine was launched to focus on Maryland business interests. The Warfield family owned the company until 1994 when it was sold to Dolan Media. Today, the newspaper is known for its business, real estate, and legal coverage.

 

Scope and Content

The Daily Record Photograph Collection contains the over 8,000 images taken by staff photographers. The collection is arranged in four series: Portraits; Buildings, Businesses, Events, Places; Negatives; and Prints. Portraits of prominent business people, lawyers, and other professionals from the 1970s to 1990s comprise the bulk of images. Series II: Buildings, Businesses, Events, Places contains photographs which accompanied articles and columns. Area businesses, both local and national, represent the majority of these images. The collection also extensively features photographs of available commercial and residential real estate from around the state, including a large number of images taken for the “Top Property” series. The series are generally organized alphabetically based on the original filing structure.

Container List