Eastern High School Photograph Collection, 1903-1986, PP298

Finding Aid to the Eastern High School Photograph Collection, 1903-1986, PP298

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

 

Collection summary

Title

Eastern High School Photograph Collection

Creator

Eastern High School

Call number

PP298

Inclusive dates

1903-1986

Bulk dates

Ca. 1940-1965

Extent

1 box, 1 oversized folder

Abstract

Contains photographs related to the activities of the high school. Several class photographs are included, as well as images of the school building’s exterior and interior.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

For information about how to purchase digital reproductions and for permission information, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page.

Provenance

Unknown

Accession number

7006

Processing note

Processed by Lara Westwood, April, 2015

Historical Note

Eastern High School was founded in 1844 as an all-female high school in Baltimore, Maryland. The city had decided to start two such high schools for women: Eastern and Western, which would serve their respective side of the city. These schools were designed allow female students to continue their grammar school education and took students as young as twelve years old if they could pass the entrance exam.

When the school opened, it was located at 101 North Front Street, but quickly outgrew the building. The school was then moved to 301 Aisquith Street (now 249 Aisquith Street). The original building was demolished and a larger, Italian Villa style building, designed by Colonel R. Snowden Andrews took its place. The students took up residence in a private home on Baltimore Street during the construction period. The new school opened in 1870 and remained in use until 1906, when once again the school population outgrew its building. The curriculum also continued to develop and expand to cover subjects that were requirements in the male curriculum. Students also began to participate in extracurricular activities and clubs.  The school moved for a third time to 1701-1735 North Avenue and reflected the changing requirements for female education. A gymnasium, laboratories, and a large auditorium were added. 

In 1938, the school moved once again to 33rd Street into an even grander building in the Waverly neighborhood. The new building had all of the modern educational accoutrements, including typewriting rooms, and was wired to with a broadcast system throughout the entire school. The school population had expanded to over 2,000 students. The school fell into decline during the seventies and eighties and low enrollment forced a switch to co-education in 1984. A magnet business curriculum was also added to boost interest in the school. Eastern High School eventually closed in 1986 because of falling enrollment and necessary renovations to the building had become too costly. Johns Hopkins Hospital purchased and fixed up the building in the 1990’s and now serves as offices.

Scope and Content

The collection contains photographs related to the activities of the high school. Several class photographs are included, as well as images of the school building’s exterior and interior. Photographs of school events, such as the Shakespeare Tercentenary celebration and Washington’s Birthday Dinner Dance are also a part of the collection.

The collection is arranged into general categories reflecting the topics of the photographs. These are then organized by date and size. The largest prints in the collection are store in a folder in Oversized Photographs.  

Container List

Contents 

Dates 

Image ID # 

Box 

Ernest J. Becker (principal of Eastern High School, 1909-1920)

Ca. 1910

PP298.01

1

Interior views of Eastern High School

Ca. 1965

PP298.02-.04

1

Exterior views of Eastern High School

Ca. 1965

PP298.05-.08

1

Shakespeare Tercentenary

1916

PP298.09-.12

1

Washington’s Birthday Dinner Dance

1930

PP298.13

1

Lunchtime at Eastern High School

Ca. 1950

PP298.14

1

The Riding Club

Ca. 1950

PP298.15

1

Commencements

Ca. 1944-1963

PP298.16-.17

1

Class photographs

1907-1984

PP298.18-.21

1

Class reunion

Ca. 1950

PP298.22-.25

1

Public School #42 (Broadway and Bank Street) class photograph

June 19, 1903

PP298.26

1

Sound Experience

Ca. 1970

PP298.27

1

Ephemera

1957-1986

 

1

Exterior view of Eastern High School

Ca. 1965

PP298.28

Stored in Oversized photographs

Class photograph

1917-1929

PP298.29-.30

Stored in Oversized photographs

Print of Eastern High School at Asiquith and Orleans Street

Ca. 1890

 

Stored in Oversized photographs

Ephemera

 

 

Stored in Oversized photographs

Games