- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Columbia Gas Construction Company Collection - PP34
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Collection of the Maryland Historical Society Library
COLUMBIA GAS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, April 2000
The Columbia Gas Construction Company apparently constructed gas pipeline in the eastern United States in conjunction with firms such as the Maryland Gas Transmission Company and the Indiana Gas Transmission Corps.
Gift of R.M. DeLong, 1981 (75770).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 large flat box with 20 envelopes, 1 folder, and 3 albums housing 585 photoprints from ca. 1931-1932. The predominant subject is gas pipeline construction in Maryland, Virginia, W. Virginia, and Indiana. Some captions identify equipment and processes, and give location information.
Collection is unprocessed. The photographs which are not in albums are roughly sorted into envelopes and a folder, although this arrangement has not been correlated with the accesssion inventory.
Inventory from accession document.
(396) loose photographs of pipeline construction. All photographs identified by station. 8.2 x 10.5 cm.
(28) photographs of pipe laying, May 1931. 9 x 14.5 cm.
(9) 12.6 x 17.6 cm. gelatin silver photographs of pipeline laying, ca. 1931.
(7) 28 x 21.5 cm. pages of 18 gelatin silver photographs of various (pumping?) stations, interior and exterior views, ca. 1932.
(2) 27.7 x 35.2 cm. gelatin silver prints of Little Huff Creek, W. Va., 1931.
24.2 x 30.9 cm. 29 photoprints. Subject is pipe laying in Virginia.
30.7 x 32.2 cm. 19 photoprints, backed with cloth. Nelson Edwards, photographer. Subject is pipe laying in Maryland, some along the Patapsco River.
24.5 x 31.2 cm. 69 photoprints and 1 map of Indiana showing route of pipeline.
3 folding pages of photographs of pipeline:
1. Clifton Forge, Covington and Lexington (Va.?) buildings. (10) gelatin silver photographs, 8.4 x 11 cm.
2. James River near Covington, Va., suspension bridge. (12) gelatin silver photographs, 8.4 x 11 cm.
3. Brown Compressor Station and Miley Compressor Station. (4) gelatin silver photographs, 8.4 x 11 cm. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT