BCLM Works on Paper, Legal, Boxes 40-42

BCLM Works on Paper, Legal, Boxes 40-42

Box 40



Physical Description

Call Number


Transmittal of Acts

August 11, 1709



From New York. Letter to His Excellency John E. Howard from Walherpher? Discussing the transmittal of the following acts for the government of the territory north West of the River Ohio.  He wants to establish light houses, beacons, buoys and public piers and establish an executive department for the Department of War.

Letter from John Adams

June 11, 1800



Letter from John Adams to the Mayor, City Council and Citizens of Baltimore City to congratulate the city on their flourishing success and wish them blessings on the abundant future of the city.

Commissioners Meeting

December 1, 1729

Meeting Notes


Commissioners Richard Gist, William Hamilton, George Buchanan and George Walker discussed the purchase of acres of land to be erected in town called Baltimore Town by Charles Carroll Esq. and his brother Daniel Carroll.  For the amount of 40 shillings (the currency of Maryland) or Tobacco to equal 40 shillings to the Sheriff of Maryland. 

Acceptance of Axe

October 9, 1828



Letter from Rubens Peale to T.R. Wise about the gift of an axe that was manufactured during the laying of the first stone of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Rubens Peale was an artist and Director of the New York Museum of Natural History and Science that opened on October 26, 1825.  The Panic of 1837 put his museum into debt and he sold his collection to P.T. Barnum in 1843.

Correspondence about Battle Monument

October-November 1907



Letters to Hon E. Clay Timanus, Lional L. Samuel, Hon. J. Barry Mahool, Charles Edward Teale Esq., a. S. Goldsborough Esq., Major Richard M. Venable from Brig. Gen'l U.S.A., Retired President of Society of the War of 1812 to clean the Battle Monument because it was in a state of severe decay.

Letters to Baltimore Chamber of Commerce




Letters from tourists to the U.S. Tourist Bureau and Baltimore Chamber of Commerce inquiring about the state of Maryland from Canada, Nova Scotia, Argentina, Vancouver British Columbia, Mexico, Brazil, England, Panama, Australia, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, London, Hawaii and Alaska. Also includes a small exhibit display "Tourist Bureau of Baltimore Seves the World"

Letters to Baltimore Chamber of Commerce




Letters from tourists to the U.S. Tourist Bureau and Baltimore Chamber of Commerce inquiring about the state of Maryland from Texas, Washington, D.C., South Dakota, South Carolina, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, California, Ilinois, Rhode Island, West VA, Nevada, Washington, Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Arkansas, Vermont, Connecticut, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Oregon, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Jersey, North Dakota, Minnesota, Louisiana, Virginia, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Maine, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, Kansas, Florida, Arizona and an exhibit display "Tourist Bureau of Baltimore Seves the World"

Baltimore Fire Insurance Office

July 10, 1812



Mr. John Horne sends letter via John Caldwell Esq, $81 on the amount of the premium of a policy $10,000 insured by Baltimore Fire Insurance Company Policy #1115 on a brick house.

Letter from Mary and James

Jan 11,1910 and Nov 25, 1907

Letter and PostCard


Letter from James R. Randall to Mrs. McCreary and postcard from Mary to George at Shepherd Pratt Hospital.

Letter to Edward Johnson (Mayor of Baltimore)

April 22, 1810



Letter from General Smith acknowledging a letter from the Mayor about sitting for his portrait to be placed in the Coucil Chamber of the first branch of Baltimore.  He will sit for the portrait when he returns to Baltimore. Sent from Washington.  General Samuel Smith served as Major General of Maryland during the War of 1812, commanded defenses at Battle of Baltimore and Fort McHenry. Served as US Senator & Rep of Maryland(1793-1803) and Mayor of Baltimore (1835-1839)

Exhibit of Taxes Levied




Handwritten chart of the taxes levied in Baltiore from 1818-1821. The note says the numbers are hypothetical. Hargrove signature at the bottom


May 1, 1843



License issued by the City of Baltimore to James Howard to occupy Eave Bench No 22 at the Centre Market House for a year from May 1, 1843. Yearly rent $4. Signed by Mayor


May 1, 1844



License issued by the City of Baltimore to Edward Hinkley to occupy Eave Bench No 61 at Lexington Market for one year starting on May 1, 1844. Rent $2 a year. Signed by Mayor

City Taxes Bill

1843 and 1847

2 City Taxes, 1 State Tax


2 city taxes of Charles Halback and 1 state tax bill. 1843 collector John B. Seidenstricker, 1847 Henry Snyder Collector.

Last Message of Hon Joshua Vansant




"The last message of Hon Joshua Vansant Comptroller, written by himself and sent to the Comptroller office Apring 1, 1884. Died April 8, 1884 at 9:20 AM Fred.. Calivt? Mayor." Vansant served as Rep for MD 1853-1855, Mayor of Baltimore from 1871-1875 and appointed Comptroller in 1876-1881.

Watch on Fells Point

April 4, 1808

Account and Charges


Handwritten account of the payments to captains, lieutenant, watchmen and purchases of candles, lamp posts, oils etc. total amount 216.70. Written by the Register

Henry M. Adler Esq.




Certificates for H. M. Adler, appointed Commissioner of Public Schools for the First Ward (1867 and 1869) and 2 small letters from William O Brien about his election to the Board of Commissioners of Public Schools for the First Ward at the convention.

Baltimore City Fire Department

August 4, 1869



Certificate from the Baltimore City Fire Department to Henry M. Adler appointed to the Board of Fire Commissioners at Engine Company #3.  Also includes letters.

Committee on the Gunpowder

April 1867

Notes from Secretary


Handwritten notes from a committee meeting.  States who is present and the activities of the meeting which seems like a short meeting.

Letter from Mayor

January 12, 1864

Visit from Admiral Russian Navy


Letter addressed to members of the first and second branch about the postponement of the Admiral and his officers to the city until the spring due to unavoidable circumstances.

The Honorable G.P. Smith

July 10, 1826



Pages in mylar are fragile. Unable to grasp concept of written correspondence.

Letter to Harriet C. Peale

Nov 6, 1856

Poem to his wife


Poem from Rembrandt Peale to Harriet C. Peale.  Harriet stated that since they tied the knot he didn't write verses as he did before so he wrote her one.

To Harriet on her Painting

Jan 1, 1840

Poem about her art


Poem written by Rembrandt Peale to Harriet that praises their love of art and how he encouraged her to paint and he enjoys being her mentor.


August 20, 1840

Poem about Harriet


Poem written by Rembrandt Peale about Harriet and his love for her.

Washington before Yorktown

November 1865

Estate of Rembrandt Peale Artist


Estate of Rembrandt Peale to the Honorable Senate and House of Representatives of the US submitted by the heirs (Harriet Peale, Rosalita Underwood and John Griscom) give the historical picture "Washington before Yorktown" to be remain placed in the Rotunda of the Capitol. The portrait traveled to Baltimore, New York, Boston and Philadelphia. Made its way to Corcoran in 1902 and was given to the gallery in 1944.

Box 41



Physical Description

Call Number


Baltimore Dwellings

Nov? 7, 1891



Harper's weekly excerpt on Baltimore Dwellings, 2 homes are being advertised. 1 house is located on Caroline Street, near Pratt street for $18 per month and the other is located on Divison street newar Lafayeet Avenue for $21 per month.  Adjoining houses sold at $22.

Confederate Money




3 $20 bills, 2 $10 bills and 1 $5 bills.  They all have the heading "Confederate States of America", printed in Richmond, VA.  Confederate money was produced before the Civil War and by the end of the war the money was worthless.

Bank Notes of Georgia


Bank Notes


The Mechants and Planters Bank, State of Georgia, 1 $10, 2 $5, 1 $3 and 2 $2.  This bank was established in 1856 and failed in the 1860s, it issued regular notes and fractional notes.  It is now considered obsolete currency.

Fractional Currency

No Date

US Fractional Currency


The United States fractional currency. 3 $25, 1 50 cents and 1 10 cents postage currency.  Fractional currency was also known as paper coins and issued in 1862 until 1876. 

Confederate Money




1 $20 bill, 2 $10 bills of the "Confederate States of America" printed in Richmond, VA.  Confederate money was produced before the Civil War and by the end of the war the money was worthless.

Invitation to Opening of Druid Hill Park

October 5, 1860



Invitation is to Dr. S. B. Steiner inviting him to be an aid to Chief Marshall Charles W. Bush at the opening of Druid Hill Park on next Monday.  The attire of the aids is described along with the meeting place which is the Washington Monument at "8 1/2 o'clock" (8:30).  An early response to the invitation is necessary.

William Wilkens Curled Hair Manufactory

Novbe 24, 1857



Advertisement of William Wilkens, Steam Curled Hair Manufactory on Frederick Road in Baltimore to be sold at New York Depot.  Finest quality of pure curled horse and cattle hair at low prices. 
The William Wilkens (1817-1879) and Co., founded in 1862, was the nation's first manufacturer of dressed fibers and steam curled hair and bristle. Maryland Fiber Corporation incorporated in 1927 and utilized many of the William Wilkens and Co experienced personnel and expertise.

Maryland Institute Admission Card




Mr Charles Wilkens Life Member of the Maryland Institute for the year ending Sept 1, 1877.  Use of circulating library to exhibitions, lectures etc. Admission good for one lady, or two children under 12 or his lady and 2 children under twelve.  J. Carter President signature on back.

Watch Bill

September 15, 1869

Handwritten Bill


W.Wilkens esq to T. F. Cooper, bill for large watch in London

War Ration Books




3 "War Ration Book One" issued to Richard Medford and Sara Medford of 101 E. Mulberry Street.  Richard's was issued on May 6, 1942 and Sara's issued on Dec. 11, 1942.  The other ration book was issued to William Heimer of 401 S 9th Street Stainesville, FL on May 7, 1942.  Beginning in May of 1942, the U.S. Office of Price Administration (OPA) froze prices on practically all everyday goods.  Everyday goods were rationed during World War II.

Information on Baltimore City




Newspaper article about Baltimore City.  The population in 1850 totaled 169,054 showing an increase in the past 10 years of 66,541.  Speaks about the views, churches, hotels.  An illustration of the view of the city from Federal Hill is included in the article clipping.

View of Baltimore




Illustration of the view of Baltimore city from Federal Hill.

Mrs. Ellin Moale

No Date



Article about Mrs. Ellin Moale, the first white female child born in Baltimore town.  She was orphaned at age 4 and at 17 married John Moale Esq.  They had 13 children but 5 died young. Ellin died on March 25, 1825 at the age of 84 and John Moale died on July 6th, 1798 at the age of 98. 

Letter to Sons

October 182?



Letter from W. Peale to his sons Franklin and Titan.  Speaks about the citizens of Baltimore not wanting him to take the picture from the State of Maryland and other pictures he wants to acquire and gives two locations; Annapolis and Talbot County.  He also references Ruben's exhibition which has a large number of paintings and excellent judges.


October 1810



Letter from Pittsburge to Baltimore.  Entire letter difficult to discern.  Seems to be a conversation about a number of lies that the writer can distinguish from the truth.

Manager of the Greek Funds

Oct. 9, 1829



Letter to the Ladies/Managers of the Greek fund from Stephanie requesting funds to support a book about a  man who tells his story about his account in slavery. Given $140.

Aid to Greece

Feb. 24, 1827

Article and Letter


This article published in Philadelphia is an address for the aid of the United States to help Greece in their war for independence.  Also includes a letter that is illegible.

Newport News, VA

April 13, 1862



Letter from one military personnel to another about his condition in the war.

Discharge Paper

June 15, 1865



This document discharges a private, George Hunt? from the 11th Regiment of Maryland who was enrolled on August 28, 1862.  He had to serve 3 years during the war.  He was born in Baltimore County, 24 years old. 5'7, fair complexion with dark eyes and his occupation is a Blacksmith.

The Kalends

October 1897



Vol. VIII, No. 1. Published monthly by the students at the Woman's Collge of Baltimore (City) now known as Goucher College

National Mariner Bank of Baltimore

Feb. 14, 189?



Cashier of the Importers and Traders National Bank of New York pay Westeou au Caslicer (?) eleven thousand dollars.

United states Internal Revenue

October 3, 1902



P.L. Goldsborough, Collector of Internal Revenue for the District of MD appoints William F. Pentz Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue of District of MD.

Mrs. Welsh's Boarding and Day School

No Date



Mrs. Welsh's Boarding and Day School for Young Ladies in Baltimore. School opens Sept 1. Ladies will be taught English and French and in their leisure time housekeeping, making their own clothing and etiquette. Located on Mulberry st, two doors east of Park Street.

Carroll of Carroll

April 10, 1828



Letter written to John H. Latrobe Esq. from Charles Carroll of Carrollton early advocate of independence from Britian, delegate and State Senator of MD. Letter involving bonds of Snuggrass *photocopy made*

Steuart Hall




Informational about Steuart Hall Collegiate and Commercial Institute for Young Gentlemen; boarding school for boys. Printed from the Press of James Young.  The institution was located near the suburbs of Baltimore and was formerly a mansion known as "Maryland Square" occupied by General George H. Steuart, associated with the Confederate Army. The Steuart family owned more than 150 slaves and after the Civil War their property was confiscated by the Federal Government.  It was also used as a hospital for wounded Union soldiers and 1867 renamed Steuart Hall and later a Catholic convent. 

Andrew Campbell to St. George W. Teackle

July 31, 1847



Contract between Andrew Campbell and St. George W. Teackle. Campbell writes that Teackle agrees to pay twenty thousand dollars and he gains parcels of land in Baltimore City

Deed from Andrew Campbell to St. George W. Teackle

July 17, 1848



Contract between Andrew Campbell and St. George W. Teackle.  Campbell gives Teackle twelve thousand dollars.

Bond of Conveyance

November 30, 1855



Roger B. Taney to St. George W. Teackle. borrows thirty thousand dollars and is given land.  Roger B. Taney was born to tobacco planters in Calvert County and attended Dickinson College.  In1799, he began to practice as an attorney and elected to the MD Legislature, State Senator, director of Frederick County bank, Attorney General of MD and later the Attorney General of the US.  He was also the 5th Chief Justice of the US and delievered the majority opinion in the Dred Scott v Sandford case in 1857.

Deed from Roger B. Taney to St. George W. Teackle

December 2, 158



$15,100 paid by Teackle.

Documents Related to Webster Family



ML10, 334

Obituary of Reverand A. Webster, Marriage License of George Finney to Louise A. Webster, 2 letters between A. Webster and Ann Calwell, "An Adieu" to Rev. A Webster on his departure from Randallstown, letter and envelope from A. Webster to D. S. Courtenay about a cure and a bill for silverware.


Box 42




Physical Description

Call Number



No Date


MD512 (42)

Illustration of Oriole on the front of 5x6 cardboard card.  The state flag in embedded into the nest of the Oriole.  On the back is an illustration of the monument dedicated to George Washington in Mt. Vernon Square.

Fire Insurance Policies




Fire insurance policies of different companies from Baltimore, Connecticut, New York, Carroll County (MD) and Philadelphia.

Lizette Woodworth Reese Memorial Association



MD510 acc 40.17

Reception honoring the life of poet Lizette.  Beatrice Fenton's (sculptor) symbolic reese memorial for poet Lizette Woodworth Reese (1866-1935) is commemorated.  The collection of this poet is housed at the Enoch Pratt Library in the Edgar Allan Poe room.

Baltimore Hammerless Guns

May 1903


MD768 (1 of 2)

Baltimore Arms Company Manufacturers information catalog about the types of guns they manufacture and their prices.  There is also a price list of parts, smokeless powder loads information for guns located in the catalog.

Baltimore Hammerless Guns

May 1903


MD768 (2 of 2)

Baltimore Arms Company Manufacturers information catalog about the types of guns they manufacture and their prices.  There is also a price list of parts, smokeless powder loads information for guns located in the catalog.





Illustration of "Garrison" residence of Charles T. Cockey. Thomas Beal Cockey a veteran from the War of 1812 built a 16-room, brick home called Garrison in 1833 at 3511 Anton Farms Road, in Pikesville. Charles T. Cockey, an active farmer with a keen interest in Pikesville, renovated the house after the Civil War and added a north wing. The house, known as the Old Cockey Place in more modern times, remained in the Cockey family until 1950. The house was restored in 1976 by M. Gerald Sellman. The estate lands have been broken up and sold, but the home still stands.

Residence of Lewis Ehrman

No Date



Illustration of the residence of Lewis Ehrman located on the corner of E. Pratt and Castle Streets in Baltimore, MD.  Lewis Ehrman was found in the (Baltimore) Sun Almanac he died on February 6, 1907 at the age of 75 in Baltimore City.

Residence of James B. Councilman

No Date



Illustration of the residence of James B. Councilman located on Reisterstown Rd in Baltimore County. 

John E. Hurst & Co.




Illustration of John E. Hurst & Company that was located at 20 Hopkins Place.The John E. Hurst and Company  housed a wholesale dry goods store that became the source of the February 7-8, 1904 fire and was totally destroyed in the fire.

C.A. Gambrill Manufacturing Company

No Date



Illustration of Patapsco Flouring Mill orginally built in 1772 was destroyed by fire in 1809 and rebuilt.  It's located in Ellicott City, Maryland on the Patapsco River.  The Ellicott family owned the flouring mill until 1844 when they sold it to Charles Carroll and Charles A. Gambrill. After the 1868 flood, the mill was bought by Richard G. and Patrick H. Magill, nephew of Charles A. Gambrill.  The building has been renovated several times due to natural disasters and fires.  In 1974 the Wilkins-Rogers Inc moved from DC to Ellicott City and is housed in the old mill.  They produced flour and other grain mill products.

Maryland Jockey Club Spring Meeting

May 5, 1943



Official program of the pimlico race course in Baltimore, Md on the Pimlico Oaks day.  The price of this program was 10 cents. Includes 8 races and marked is a "x" in each race.  Ads for buying war bonds and stamps, Coca Cola and Arrows Beer included.





Handwritten deeds of David Lynn, the President of Directors of the Mechanics Bank of Baltimore to George W. Riggs





Illustration of original "Athol" residence of C. J. Baker located on Catonsville Road in Baltimore County built in 1800.  In 1900, Dr. Alfred Gundry purchased the home to use as a sanitarium for nervous disorders of women that required treatment and rest away from home.  Functioned as a sanitarium until 2000. 

The Gilmor House

No Date



Illustration of the Gilmor House.

Harpers New Monthly Magazine

February 1896



Vol. XCII (92) No.DXLIX (549) covers the "New Baltimore" by Stephen Bonsal.  It also includes illustrations of Broadway, Mount Vernon Square, The City Hall, an Old Baltimore Mansion, The Cathedral, Cardinal Gibbons (photo), Maryland Club, W.T. Walters, The Peabody Institute, Daniel Coit Gilman (photo), Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins, First Methodist Church, Druid Hill Park

View of Baltimore

No Date



Illustration of a view of Baltimore.

Ordinance of the City of Baltimore

April 2, 1830



Newspaper clipping of an ordinance regulating the grading, paving and repairing of foot-ways in the City of Baltimore. Another article is included in folder with the date "May 1876" written in pencil.  The article entitled "A Plain Duty" speaks about those with money to invest in stock that would make improvements to the city.

Extracts from Ordinances




Excerpt of ordinance "To Preserve the Navigation of the Harbor of Baltimore, to appoint Port Wardens and Harbor Masters, and prescribe their duties."