Baltimore Hardware Merchants Manuscript Collection, 1876-1885, MS 2179

Finding Aid to the Baltimore Hardware Merchants Manuscript Collection, 1876-1885, MS 2179

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

 

Collection summary

Title

Baltimore Hardware Merchants Manuscript Collection

Creator

Gillet & Co.

Call number

MS 2179

Inclusive dates

1876-1885

Bulk dates

1876-1885

Extent

1 box, 10 folders

Abstract

Contains orders, receipts, and correspondence from Baltimore hardware merchants to Gillet & Co., in Elmira, New York.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

Permission to quote must be received in writing from the Special Collections Librarian.

Provenance

Gift of the Chemung County Historical Society, 1974

Accession number

71453

Processing note

Finding aid created by Lara Westwood, November, 2014

 

Historical Note

Several Baltimore hardware importers are represented in the collection, including Anderson Brothers, Moritz and Keidel, and Penniman & Brother. Anderson Bros. operated under the name Anderson & Jessop, Anderson Brothers, and Anderson & Ireland. The company began operations in 1805 at 44 East Pratt Street in Baltimore, Maryland. The hardware store also sold cutlery, sporting goods, ammunition, and guns. After the 1904 fire in Baltimore, the store moved to 111 Light Street and continued there until the 1960’s.

Moritz and Keidel was founded by Henry Keidel and K. Moritz. The shop imported and sold items similar to Anderson Brothers and was located on German Street in Baltimore. Keidel bought out his partner in 1864 and became known as Henry Keidel & Co. The company grew under his tutelage and became one of the largest hardware sellers in the South.

Penniman and Brother was an importer and wholesale dealer of domestic and foreign hardware located at 10 North Howard Street in Baltimore.

 

Scope and Content

The collection contains orders, receipts, and correspondence from Baltimore hardware merchants to Gillet & Co., in Elmira, New York. The Baltimore buyers, including Anderson Bros., Moritz and Keidel, and Penniman & Bro., primarily ordered different types of augers from Gillet & Co., which also manufactured axes, drill bits, and other carpentry tools. The collection is arranged chronologically.    

 

Container List

Contents 

Dates

Box

Folder

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1876

1

1

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1877

1

2

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1878

1

3

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1879

1

4

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1880

1

5

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1881

1

6

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1882

1

7

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1883

1

8

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1884

1

9

Orders, receipts, and correspondence

1885

1

10

 

 

 

 

 

 

Games