- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Baltimore Equitable Society Collection, 1729-1997, MS 3020
Collection finding aids of Manuscript Collection in the Special Collections Department of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library of the Maryland Historical Society
BALTIMORE EQUITABLE SOCIETY COLLECTION, 1729-1997
Special Collections Department
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Historical Society
201 West Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Tel: (410) 685-3750/Fax: 410-385-2105
Processed by David Angerhofer with funding from the Baltimore Equitable Society
Provenance: The Baltimore Equitable Society Collection was placed on permanent deposit at the H. Furlong Baldwin Library of the Maryland Historical Society in 2003 by the Baltimore Equitable Society.
Size: Approximately 300 linear feet
Access: Access to the following subseries is restricted until Spring 2005: I.16. Cancelled Policies; IV.4. Museum Manuscripts; IV.5. Museum Prints and Photos.
Copyright: The Baltimore Equitable Society Collection is the physical property of the Baltimore Equitable Society. Copyright for published materials belongs to the authors or creators of the works or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Special Collections Librarian.
Permission: Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested in writing from the Baltimore Equitable Society.
Preferred Citation: Baltimore Equitable Society Collection, MS 3020
H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society
Baltimore Equitable Society Collection, 1729-1997
Table of Contents
Scope and Content Note
Decscription of Series
Series I, Insurance Records
Series II, Financial Records
Series III, Administrative Records
Series IV, Museum Records and Collections
Series I, Insurance Records
Series II, Financial Records
Series III, Administrative Records
Series IV, Museum Records and Collections
The Baltimore Equitable Society for Insuring Houses from Loss by Fire, Baltimore’s oldest corporation and the third oldest mutual fire insurance company in the country, was incorporated by an act of the Maryland Legislature in 1794. The Society was governed by a board of twelve directors and a treasurer, who served as the Society’s chief executive, all of whom were elected yearly by a general meeting of the members. The first Treasurer was Joseph Townsend (1756-1841), who occupied the office for all but one of the Society’s first forty-seven years of operation. Initially a one-man show, the Society employed a few clerks and surveyors as needed and, upon Townsend’s death in 1841, began to fill the executive offices of Treasurer and Secretary with two people instead of one. Although the 1920s saw the further extravagance of the formal addition of an assistant secretary and assistant treasurer, the Society continued to operate with minimal staff. This conservatism in human resources reflected the carefully circumscribed conditions of the Society’s operation. Its range extended only to Baltimore and its suburbs, and while in the early days, risks were considered on a case-by-case basis, greater experience and sophistication in risk management led the Society increasingly to limit its risks to masonry dwellings.
The company’s original charter called for a system of deposits, contributions, and dividends. Upon joining, each member would pay a deposit based on the type of property insured and the desired amount of coverage, initially limited to two-thirds of the full value of the property. Losses by fire, rather than being paid out of the company’s surplus, were funded by the collection of contributions, with each member required to pay a certain percentage of his or her deposit. For members, the upside to this obligation was that the Society’s surplus was dedicated not to losses, but to dividends. Upon the expiration of a seven-year policy, each policyholder took home the original deposit plus a dividend of the company’s earnings proportional to the deposit.
As early as the 1850s, the directors and members of the Baltimore Equitable Society began considering modifications to the seven-year plan, seeking to bolster the Society’s membership rolls, and consequently, its surplus, by offering more flexible and appealing schemes of insurance. In 1857, the Society added transient insurance, which allowed for terms of insurance of one, three, or five years and funded itself through the now widely-used system of premiums, rather than the idiosyncratic system of contributions and dividends. Shortly thereafter, the seven-year policy was abandoned entirely in favor of the more unusual perpetual plan. Under the perpetual plan, each member paid an initial deposit (for dwellings, usually about 2% of the amount of coverage effected) and was not subsequently liable for any further premiums. Upon cancellation, the full amount of the deposit was refunded, regardless of whether any claims had been made against the policy. Though contributions might still be levied if necessary, the members and directors foresaw being able to pay its losses out of the surplus fund, which proved to be the case.
By the late nineteenth century, the introduction of the perpetual policy had achieved the desired effect of increasing the membership rolls and surplus of the Society. With this increased prosperity came one of the few moments of controversy in the Society’s history. In 1890, a group of policyholders, roused in part by the Society’s decision to increase the amount of deposit required for insurance of certain commercial risks, advocated an amendment to the charter providing for the payment of periodic dividends from the Society’s surplus. A committee of prominent members appointed by the board of directors to study the matter concluded that, Baltimore being due for a great fire, the surplus should be left alone. At the next general meeting, an overwhelming majority of policyholders voted to affirm the committee’s findings. Thirteen years later, the Baltimore Equitable Society made good on all of its losses incurred in the Fire of 1904.
As the twentieth century progressed, the Society’s officers showed an increasing interest in the their organization’s historical significance. In the 1920s, the Society’s sixth Treasurer, George Corner, established up the Museum of Firefighting History on the upper floor of the Society’s offices, showcasing the Society’s history as well as that of mutual fire insurance and firefighting in general. In the following decade, Richard Hart of the Enoch Pratt Free Library was recruited to catalog the museum’s publication collection and to produce a history of the Society to celebrate its approaching sesquicentennial. While this project seems not to have come to fruition, the efforts of Hart and especially Assistant Secretary Amherst B. Hall to organize the Society’s records up to that point are evident throughout the collection.
Scope and Content Note
The Baltimore Equitable Society Collection spans the years 1729-1997, with most material dating between 1794 and 1991. The vast majority of the materials in the collection were generated by the Society’s small workforce, where division of labor was inconsistent, fuzzy, or non-existent. The principal series into which the collection is divided are thus oriented toward the purpose of each record or record set. Insurance Records are those records directly involved in writing policies, managing risk, and paying losses. Financial Records consist of records of accounting, banking, and investment activities. Administrative Papers include minutes, correspondence and miscellaneous documents generated by the Society’s officers and directors. Also included here are personal records of many of the Society’s officers. Museum Records and Collections consist of publications, manuscripts, prints, and photos, as well as extensive correspondence mostly relating to the provenance of the collections.
At the heart of the collection are the records of approximately 100,000 policies written by the Society from 1794 through 1991. Containing data related to construction, ownership, and value of these properties, the three sub-series of “Records of Policies” are the logical starting point for research in genealogy, architecture, and economic history. Records of the Society’s ground rent investments, though unrelated to the underwriting side of the business, provide a further resource for property research.
The bulk of the collection occurs in bound volumes, most of which remained consistent in format and usage for long periods of time. Changes of varying significance in the Society’s record-keeping schemes are evident at several junctures, most salient of which is the conversion in 1967 to a computer-based system. Most of the major series of volumes were discontinued in the following years, though a few were kept up-to-date into the 1980s. Excepting the absence of a Risk Book for the period 1812-1833, the major sub-series of Insurance and Financial records are complete for entire span of years during which they were kept. Administrative records tend to be much less comprehensive. Several gaps exist in the Minutes of Meetings of the Board of Directors, and they are absent entirely from 1939. Records of the board’s committees and of the general meetings are generally sparse, as is correspondence past 1908.
Series I: Insurance Records, 1794-1996 (Boxes 1-104; Oversized Volumes 1-87)
Subseries 1: Policy Books, 7-year and Perpetual, 1794-1972 (Boxes 1-6, Oversized volumes 1-34)
Formally called Records of Policies, these large bound volumes describe the terms for each policy issued. Organized by policy number (and thus chronologically according to issue date), entries include name of insured, address and brief description of property, amount of coverage and amount of deposit. Entries were updated, somewhat roughly, to note changes in coverage, cancellations, and losses by fire. Records of Policies were indexed by name
Subseries 2: Risk and Expiration Books, 7-year and Perpetual, 1794-1971 (Box 7, Oversized volumes 35-47)
Risk Books and Expiration Books were the means through which the Society tracked the total amount of insurance in force at any given time. The amount of coverage for a given policy was posted to the risk book at issuance. Upon expiration (in the case of 7-year policies) or cancellation (in the case of perpetual policies) the amount of coverage was posted to the expiration or cancellation book. Running totals were maintained for both, so that subtracting expirations/cancellations from risks at any given time would yield the current amount of insurance in force. Alternately, the expirations were periodically posted to the risk book and subtracted from the amount of insurance in force. Arranged chronologically, each entry indicates policy number, name of insured, and amount of insurance.
Subseries 3: Policy Books, Transient, 1857-1972 (Box 8, Oversized volumes 48-59)
Analogous to 7-year and Perpetual Policy Books. As Transient Insurance allowed for renewals without the issuance of a new policy, these records also contain dates and terms of renewals.
Subseries 4: Risk and Expiration Books, Transient, 1875-1979 (Box 9, Oversized volumes 60-69)
Also analogous to their 7-year and perpetual counterparts. The possibility of renewals and the variability of terms led to somewhat less tidy tracking of expirations, thus the maintenance, beginning in the 1890s, of multiple expiration books based on length of term.
Subseries 5: Baltic Policies, 1840-1939 (Boxes 10-11)
Through a long-lived arrangement, the Society insured the projects of the Maryland Permanent Land and Building Society for the amount of $500,000; details of the arrangement are posted at beginning of first volume. Entries in these four volumes include the policy number, name and address of insured, and a brief description of the risks underwritten through this arrangement.
Subseries 6: Records of Surveys, 1806-1968 (Boxes 12-20, Oversized volumes 70-80)
Describe insured property in greater detail than found in Records of Policies. Sketch frequently included for new insurances. Also includes surveys of losses and notes on renewals and changes to policies. Organized by date survey performed. Overlap of R-S of the earlier group with A-B of the later was the result of the two principle surveyors maintaining separate records. After introduction of Memoranda of Surveys in 1857, a single record of surveys was maintained.
Subseries 7: Surveyors’ Notebooks, 1845-1874 (Boxes 21-22)
Informal records maintained by surveyors. Those created through 1862 represent the detritus generated immediately before and after the above-mentioned overlap in the formal Records of Surveys. Later notebooks (created by F.H.B. Boyd) contain detailed information on losses and replacement costs.
Subseries 8: Survey Memorandum Books, 1857-1950 (Boxes 22-26)
Brief notes on properties in need of surveyance; Includes name and address of surveyee, policy number where applicable; numbers in colored pencil indicate corresponding page in Record of Surveys. First half of first volume is occupied by unrelated material, apparently record of dividends on seven-year policies, much of which has been used as scrapbook for newspaper notices for General Meetings, contributions, and other items of interest to the Society.
Subseries 9: Transfer Books, 1795-1972 (Boxes 27-28, Oversized volumes 81-84)
Document transfers of policies accompanying changes in ownership of insured properties. List names of both parties, number of policy transferred, amount of deposit, and location of property. Arranged chronologically.
Subseries 10: Receipts for Policies/Delivery Records, 1858-1966 (Boxes 29-32)
Simple confirmation of receipt for new policies. Include policy number, name of insured, and date policy received. Those named “Receipts for Policies” contain insured’s signature, while “Records of Delivery of Policies” were noted only by a clerk or officer of the Society.
Subseries 11: Receipt Books, 1795-1972 (Boxes 33-35, Oversized volumes 85-87)
This subseries consists mostly of receipts of payments to policyholders, the two main types being payments for losses and payments of deposits and dividends upon the expiration of seven-year policies. (“Receipts for Despotism, 1812-1818,” is the exception, recording the Society’s receipt of deposit upon issuance of policy. Presumably the actual issuance of a policy was receipt enough, thus the short-livedness of this type of record.) Initially, receipts for all transactions were recorded in a single volume. Deposits and Dividends were recorded by date in a distinct set of volumes beginning in 1821; losses, along with some minor payment types, in 1835. A more formal record of “Receipts for Dividends and Deposits” (OS Vol. 87-88) was initiated in 1835; these were organized by policy number and limited to deposits and dividends paid at the expiration of the full seven-year term. Policies that were suspended or cancelled prior to the expiration of the term continued to be logged by date. After the Seven-year policy was discontinued, the formal records of receipts for dividends and deposits were discontinued while the less formal version was continued as a record of receipts for partial returns of deposits on perpetual policies, which occurred when coverage was reduced.
Subseries 12: Contribution Books, 1794-1860 (Boxes 36-42)
Until 1865, any losses that could not be paid comfortably from the surplus were met by levying a contribution on the Society’s membership. The small, frequent contributions of the Society’s early days are documented in the first two volumes, covering the years 1794-1832. Beginning in 1822, a distinct contribution book and accompanying receipt book were created for each contribution levied as the result of a larger loss. By 1832, the Society’s surplus was such that contributions were levied only in the event of such larger losses, at which point smaller losses incurred since the previous contribution would also be accounted for. The last was levied in 1859, and in 1891 the Society’s charter was amended to disallow the levying of contributions.
Subseries 13: Proofs of Loss and Arbitration/Appraisal papers, 1884-1924 (Boxes 43-50)
This subseries covers a relatively brief period of time for which formal external documentation of losses was collected. In general, such documents arose either as the result of a disputed settlement, or more rarely, when a commercial interest elected to submit a formal loss record for its own satisfaction. The numerous losses in 1904 necessitated the submission of Proofs of Loss, which are arranged numerically according to the number assigned in the large volume “Losses Incurred in the Conflagration of Feb. 7-8, 1904” (see Subseries 14: Miscellaneous Insurance Records).
Subseries 14: Miscellaneous insurance records, 1794-1984 (Boxes 51-59; Box 950 Folders 1-2)
Various records and record sets kept on short-term or irregular bases. Notable here are formal Records of Losses, which were first instituted by the second treasurer of the Society in 1841, then discontinued in 1864 (see explanatory note from A. B. Hall at the conclusion of second record book). The Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 necessitated the only other effort at consolidation of loss records until 1961, at which point the Society returned to keeping distinct records of losses on a permanent basis – though only one ledger of this sort was created before these records were computerized (see Loss Registers in Subseries 15: Computer Printouts).
Subseries 15: Computer Printouts, 1967-1991 (Boxes 60-104)
Initially used to generate monthly premium and loss reports, the Society’s computer-based record-keeping system replaced virtually all of the older insurance and financial records by 1972. Master Files (Fire and Broad Form insurance) and Perpetual Homeowners Lists provide the closest analogue to records of policies. These documents indicate policyholder, policy number, type amount of insurance, and premiums for all policies in force during a given year. Data could be sorted according to policy number, name of insured, or type of insurance, and the collection includes printouts of all three sorts for most years.
Subseries 16: Cancelled Policies, 1794-1972
Approximately sixty percent of 7-year and perpetual policies issued by the Society were returned by the policyholders and appear in this collection. Though most of the data are reflected in the Policy Books, cancelled policies frequently include unique notations and occasionally attachments. Transient Policies were generally not returned to the Society; only a small group collected in the aftermath of the Fire of 1904 is contained in the collection.
Restricted from public use pending conservation measures.
Series II: Financial Records, 1794-1981 (Boxes 105-148 ,Oversized volumes 88-194
Subseries 1: Ledgers, 1794-1978 (Box 105, Oversized volumes 88-102)
Records of credits and debits posted to each account maintained by the Society. A single series of Ledgers was maintained through 1841, at which point distinct series were maintained for Depositors Ledgers, in which transactions between the Society and its policyholders were recorded, and General Ledgers for all other transactions. Arranged roughly alphabetically by name of account. Indexes of depositor and/or account names are bound or inserted into each volume.
Subseries 2: Daybooks/Journals, 1794-1968 (Boxes 106-112, Oversized volumes 103-121)
Chronological records of financial transactions posted weekly or biweekly. Each entry indicates account, associated policy number where applicable, date and amount of transaction, and reference to corresponding entry in Ledger. The first three volumes in this subseries represent a dual daybook system in which records of transactions were recorded as they occurred in one set of books (the first and third of this subseries) and were then transcribed into a more formal volume (the second) with entries grouped by account type and posted at the mid-point and end of each month. The adoption in 1804 of Memo Books for recording daily activities facilitated the maintenance of a single daybook (see Series III, Administrative Records, Subseries 6). Also included in this subseries are three boxes of journal sheets, which appear to be rough drafts of journal entries.
Subseries 3: Cashbooks, 1841-1964 (Boxes 113-117, Oversized volumes 122-143)
Chronological records of financial transactions posted daily. Includes rough form of data later to be posted to the Journal and running total of cash on hand. Upon its introduction in 1841, a dual Cash Book system replaced Journals entirely; transactions were recorded daily in a “Petty” Cashbook, then formalized in a “Regular” Cashbook. In 1844, the Journal was re-instituted as the formal chronological record of transactions, and even created retroactively for the period during which it had been abandoned. The Petty Cashbook (henceforth simply “Cashbook”) was retained as a less-formal, daily record of transactions.
Subseries 4: Balance Sheets, 1895-1972 (Oversized volumes 144-158)
Monthly reconciliation of credit and debit accounts. Lists account name and current balance. Arranged chronologically.
Subseries 5: Investment Records, 1814-1980 (Boxes 118-126, Oversized volumes 159-168)
The earliest of these records reflect the varied, somewhat informal ways in which the Society invested its members’ deposits. A collection of interest books established in the 1850s prefigured the development of two formal sets of ledgers, the first for Stocks and Bonds, the second, Ground Rents and Mortgages, established in 1888 and 1877 respectively. Each of these consist of a page or series of pages devoted to each investment on which due dates and interest or payments are recorded. These are accompanied by five boxes of Ground Rent papers, consisting deeds, titles, legal documents, and, occasionally, correspondence associated with the ground rents owned by the Society. These papers are arranged numerically according to numbers assigned in the corresponding volumes.
Subseries 6: Banking Records, 1804-1975 (Boxes 127-129, Oversized volumes 169-193)
This subseries consists of checkbooks, cancelled checks, and account books. Early checkbooks, written mostly on the Bank of Baltimore contain stubs showing date, recipient, and amount of check, as well as unused checks. Personal business of Treasurers Joseph Townsend and Francis Dallam is intermingled with BES transactions. Checkbooks appear more regularly beginning in 1939; with stubs for checks drawn on Western National Bank and First National Bank recorded the bulk of outgoing payments to 1973. Cancelled checks were preserved for the period 1826-1897, the bulk being drawn on the Bank of Baltimore from 1826 to1854. Account Books consist of records of deposits in accounts held in Bank of Baltimore and Franklin Bank. Bank of Baltimore account book of 10/30/1841-4/3/1844 also includes notes on contribution of 9/1851 and sundry memos of 1857.
Subseries 7: Annual Reports to Board of Insurance Commissioners, 1871-1960 (Boxes 130-141)
Report of assets, risks, and disbursements generated annually in a book of forms issued by the Board. Beginning in 1920, each report is accompanied by the Society’s Federal Income Tax return, with associated schedules, auditors’ reports, and some related correspondence. Three volumes of data compiled to facilitate the creation of these reports are included in this subseries.
Subseries 8: Miscellaneous financial records, 1801-1982 (Boxes 142-148, Oversized volume 194)
Numerous small groups and single volumes used in discontinued, experimental, or specialized accounting procedures. Stock on Hand, 1801-1841 (3 vols.) provides a running total of deposits and income used in calculating dividends due on expired policies. Treasurer’s Accounts, 1812-1841 (4 vols.) and the single volumes Summary of Journal Entries as posted in ledger, 1812-1841 and Cash and P[rofit] and Loss, 1812-1841 provided a more succinct and user-friendly view of the Society’s accounts than afforded by the Ledgers and Journals but were discontinued after the tenure of J. Townsend. Blotter for Journal, 1866-1870 is a rough list of transactions arranged roughly by account.
Series III: Administrative Records, 1783-1988 (Boxes 149-230, Oversized Volumes 195-197
Subseries 1: Act of incorporation and supplements, 1794-1916 (Box 149, Box 950, Folders 3-11, Oversized volume 195)
Comprised of a copy of the Laws of Maryland of 1794, in which the charter was passed; bound and unbound photostatic copies of the articles of association and supplements produced by the Maryland State Archives in 1940; and two bound volumes created by the Society in which the 1794 and 1809 versions of the charter are transcribed, accompanied by lists of subscribers.
Subseries 2: Records of General and Directors’ Meetings, 1794-1964 (Boxes 150-153)
Minutes and associated documents from meetings of both the board of directors and the general membership. Minutes of the bi-weekly meetings of the Board of Directors reflected a high degree of control over the day-to-day affairs of the Society, with risks, investments, and settlements frequently being considered on a case-by-case basis. Maintenance of a formal record was not regularized until 1842, and while the supplementary records (designated “draft,” “copy,” or “summary”) bridge many of the gaps that exist up to that point, no records survive for the periods 9/1/1794-5/6/1799 and 1/13/1807-4/13/1808. Records of the Investment Committee, which consisted of three members of the board of directors, are present from 1841 through 1887, with a few scattered records remaining beyond that period. The Examining Committee, which was charged with reviewing the Society’s financial records on a quarterly basis, is here represented with rosters of its members, 1864-1890. The only actual reports surviving for this committee, from 1837-1840, can be found in the subseries Subject Files under the heading “Accounting.” Records of the yearly General Meetings consist of notices, minutes, reports from the board of directors, and ballots and returns of the election of directors and officers.
Subseries 3: Correspondence, 1814-1976 (Boxes 154-155, Oversized Volume 196)
This subseries consists of one box of general correspondence spanning the years 1814 through 1844, two books of outgoing letters, 1842-1878 and 1888-1908, and scattered correspondence through the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Extensive correspondence may also be found in the subseries Subject Files and Museum Correspondence, below. Arranged roughly chronologically; irregular groupings of 1814-1844 correspondence are retained from original order.
Subseries 4: Subject Files, 1794-1936 (Boxes 156-159)
Consist of correspondence, memoranda, and reports from the 18th and 19th centuries as arranged and annotated in the 1930s by Hall and Hart. Also included are Hart’s abstracts of meeting minutes and the first draft of his history of the Society. See container list, p. 25, for subjects.
Subseries 5: Reference materials, 1887-1969 (Boxes 160-161)
Consists of sundry materials originating outside of the Society, related to law, finance, construction, underwriting practices, Baltimore geography and the like.
Subseries 6: Prospects, ca. 1925-1950 (Boxes 162-214)
This subseries consists of some 12,520 sets of notes created to track marketing contacts. Each was assigned a numbered envelope in which records of communication, sometimes including correspondence, were contained. Arranged sequentially. Publicly accessible card files index Prospects by name of owner and address of property.
Subseries 7: Miscellaneous administrative records (Boxes 215-223, Oversized volume 197)
This subseries includes notebooks kept by several of the Society’s treasurers; advertising scrapbooks and other marketing materials, and annual statements. A handsome collection of rough notes, mostly relating to directors’ meetings and surveying, compiled and mostly created by surveyor and Secretary (later Treasurer) Hugh B. Jones (1822-1895) provides an unfiltered glimpse of day-to-day activities of one of the Society’s more enduring figures.
Subseries 8: Personal papers, 1783-ca. 1935 (Boxes 224-230)
Many of the Society’s officers left personal papers among the Society’s records. Most frequently these are records of charitable activities or papers relating to independent fiduciary or consulting services. Amherst B. Hall left the largest and most varied lot of papers, including some family correspondence, extensive correspondence detailing his advice to an out-of-town friend regarding the failing Park Heights Nursery, and several letterbooks chronicling his investments in ground rents and poultry.
Series IV: Museum Records and Collections, 1729-1990 (Boxes 231-273)
Subseries 1: Museum Correspondence, 1927-1935 (Boxes 231-236)
Consists of Treasurer George Corner’s incoming and outgoing correspondence conducted while assembling the museum collections. Arrangement is first roughly alphabetical by name of correspondent, then descending chronologically within each letter of the alphabet.
Subseries 2: Miscellaneous Museum Records, 1935-1988 (Boxes 237-238)
Newsletters, brochures, and scattered correspondence collected by the museum after its initial organization.
Subseries 2: Scrapbooks, 1792-1934 (Boxes 239-249)
Compiled in conjunction with the opening of the museum. Content ranges from excellent historical and biographical information on the Society and its officers and directors to general-interest historical articles culled from local periodicals. Of particular interest is a printed extract of 1792 from the minutes of the Maryland Society for promoting the Abolition of Slavery, and the Relief of free Negroes, and others, unlawfully held in Bondage, of which Joseph Townsend was secretary
Subseries 3: Publications, 1848-1953 (Boxes 250-266)
Books and periodicals mostly related to the Society, the insurance industry, or Maryland history. Contains numerous histories published by mutual insurance companies.
Subseries 4: Manuscripts, 1729-ca.1935 (Boxes 267-268)
The bulk of this subseries is made up of insurance policies from American and British companies, solicited for the collection by Corner.
Restricted from public use pending conservation measures.
Subseries 5: Prints and photos (Boxes 269-273)
This subseries consists mostly of images reprinted from published books and print collections. The few photographs of the Society’s offices and employees are duplicated in the Scrapbooks subseries.
Restricted from public use pending conservation measures.