"On the evening of May 13, 1861, General Benjamin Butler and 1,000 Union soldiers arrived at Baltimore's Camden Street Station by train. Under the cover of a thunderstorm, they fortified Federal Hill to ensure the city of Baltimore remained under Union control, after the Pratt Street Riot less than a month earlier."
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Protest demonstration. Mrs. Bowen Jackson and Bayard Rustin with others protesting Ford's Theatre Jim Crow admission policy.
Subject:Business, Baltimore Theatre, Theater, African American history, Paul Henderson, Photographs, Baltimore City Life Museum Collection, Civil rights, Women's History, Baltimore (Md.), Street scenes
Creator:Henderson, Paul, 1899-1988
Description:Street scene. Protest demonstration. Mrs. Bowen Jackson and Bayard Rustin with others protesting Ford's Theatre Jim Crow admission policy. Bayrd Ruston, second from left. Shows protestors with NAACP signs. 314-320 West Fayette Street, Baltimore. Photograph by Paul S. Henderson (1899-1988), circa September 1948. Afro-American newspaper, October 29, 1949: "Hit by Jim Crow in Md. As Well as N.C. Bayard Rustin, who spent 22 days on the North Carolina chain gang for refusal to obey the jim crow travel laws, is shown as he joined the NAACP picket line at Ford's Theatre, last week, in protest of its policy of segregation. This is the fourth season of the NAACP's picketing in Baltimore. Shown left to right, are Mrs. Bowen Jackson and Mr. Rustin."
Date of Original:ca. 1948
Collection:Paul Henderson Photograph Collection, Baltimore City Life Museum Collection, Special Collections Department
Type/Size:Negative, 4 x 5 inch (10.16 x 12.7 cm)
Restrictions:Restricted to copy print only in the Special Collections Department. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Rights:Copy of original owned by the Maryland Historical Society. For reproduction and permission information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org