- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Our volunteers’ time and talent are vital to the success of the Maryland Historical Society. Volunteers assist with visitors, conduct research in the library, catalog records and archives, work in the collections department, and help with general administrative duties throughout the society’s various departments.
Placement of volunteers is determined based on the volunteer’s interest, skills, and life experiences as well as the needs of the institution. MdHS volunteers bring life and energy to supporting the work of our staff through the time they donate.
The Maryland Historical Society has an immediate need for volunteers to work with archaeological collections in a lab setting. We are in the process of rehousing (bagging, tagging, boxing) a large collection consisting of excavated materials from multiple sites around Baltimore. We anticipate this project will last until November.
If you are interested and can commit to at least 40 hours (full or half days, consecutive or over the course of the project), please send resumes and availability to Kate Gallagher, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our lab is located on the MdHS campus in Baltimore (201 West Monument Street) and is open, Monday through Friday, 8:30-4:00.
Below is an example of volunteer opportunities that are available at MdHS. Availability depends on timing and need:
Education Outreach Division
- Volunteer Museum Teacher- assist with the many school groups that come to MdHS for special programs
- Volunteer Docent Guide- lead daily groups around the museum, sharing both permanent and temporary exhibits with visitors
- Administrative Volunteer- help with office and administrative tasks
Library and Special Collections
- Archives Assistant-help improve access to & preservation of historical documents
- Catalog Assistant- edit and update library records in the MdHS online public access catalog
- Inventory Assistant- maintain and document collections of printed material and photographs and create lists of folder titles for manuscript collections
- Assist with the cataloging of photographs and reproductions of MdHS collection materials.
- Research objects in the MdHS museum collection and potential donations to the collection
- Respond to inquiries about the MdHS collections
- Assist with exhibition research and installation/de-installation
Development, Marketing and Public Relations
- Gift Entry- assist with gift entry in the fundraising department
- Informational Distributor- assist with mailings to MdHS members and donors
- Marketing- Assist with calendar updates to media lists throughout area
- Assist with press releases, writings, etc. for public relations related projects
- In addition to the above mentioned volunteer opportunities, we often need administrative help at MdHS. Administrative support positions include opportunities in education, the museum, the library, finance, development, marketing/pr.
To become a volunteer, or inquire about volunteer opportunities, please email a cover letter and resume to our Events and Volunteer Manager, Katie Caljean at email@example.com. Please let us know why you are interested in volunteering for us and where you are most interested in helping us out.