- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- From your Computer!
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Did you know...
"On the evening of May 13, 1861, General Benjamin Butler and 1,000 Union soldiers arrived at Baltimore's Camden Street Station by train. Under the cover of a thunderstorm, they fortified Federal Hill to ensure the city of Baltimore remained under Union control, after the Pratt Street Riot less than a month earlier."
The Maryland Historical Society offers competitive fall, spring and summer internships to current undergraduate and graduate students. The overarching goals of our internship opportunities are to enhance the students’ educational experiences, as well as meet the needs of the institution. Interns are assigned directly to a staff member who supervises and mentors them on diverse and challenging projects that directly impact MdHS. Because of the semester nature of internships, interns are usually assigned to short-term projects.
While we cannot guarantee that an internship is available every semester in all departments, we typically offer semester internships in several departments. Positions are project-based and availability depends on departmental needs. Below is a list of those departments with a listing of potential internship opportunities within that division:
Educational Outreach Division
- Assist with children and adult tours by leading and updating tours
- Help plan and implement outreach event opportunities for the public
Collections and Museum Division
- Work with museum curator and collections manager to assist with object and exhibition research, writing, and installation
- Assist with the cataloging of photographs and reproductions of MdHS collection materials
Library and Special Collections
- Edit and create new catalog entries in the online catalog (EOS)
- Work at the Special Collections desk; assist patrons with Special Collections, check patrons in and out; vett questions over the phone and email
- Assist with Special Collections photocopy request
- Joseph Kohl Photograph Collection Internship
Development and Fundraising Department
- Assist with writing, audience development, research and mailings
- Assist with gift entry
- Help implement fundraising projects to MdHS constituents
Marketing and Public Relations
- Draft and submit press releases to media sources throughout area
- Develop targeted media lists, maintain and measure media clipping files
- Organize and maintain image files
- Help ensure that MdHS is on media calendars throughout city and state
- Video Production - assist with shooting, editing and producing videos of exhibits and MdHS happenings
As most students are interested in obtaining credit for their internship time, it is the responsibility of the student to convey all internship requirements to their staff supervisor. MdHS wants to ensure that all needs are met for the university that the student is attending.
To apply for an internship, please email a cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to indicate which semester you are interested in interning with us, as well as your preference in departments. Also, please include information in your cover letter indicating why you are interested in interning at MdHS and how you think it would supplement your current educational experience. Also, let us know what prior experience, if any, you have in the museum industry.