- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- Digital Learning
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Welcome to Collections Online! This section of the website will feature hundreds of images of items in both the Museum and Library collections. Once this page is complete, visitors will be able to browse through the images by medium or by subject. Please visit Collections Online again soon to search through digitized items.
In the meantime, visit our Collections Cross Section for preview images of items in the MdHS collections or the MdHS photographs tumblr.
With well over one million items housed at MdHS, this database contains merely a fraction of what can be found in the combined collections. Information contained in the records of the Collections Online Database is subject to change as a result of ongoing research.
The Collections Online Database provides access to items in the Museum Department and Special Collections Department of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library that have been previously digitized. With well over one million individual items in the combined collections, not all items from the Museum and Library are currently available digitally. The database will be added to on a continual basis as more items from the collections are digitized.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
1. How do I begin using the Collections Online Database?
You may begin by entering a search term into the Search box on the home page of the Collections Online Database. You may browse by subject or by medium.
For example, if a user were to search for a very popular painting by Charles Willson Peale titled “Exhumation of the Mastodon”, enter the title of the painting, simply “painting”, or the artist’s name could be used to begin your search. Users may also search by topic, such as African American history, American Civil War, etc.
2. I would like to purchase a digital reproduction of an item I found on the Collections Online Database. How do I do this?
Once you have written down the information in the record (item ID, title, creator, description, date, collection, etc.), please review the fee schedules on the Rights and Reproductions section of our web page. Fees depend on your intended usage and how large of a digital file you would like to request.
3. I have confirmed that MdHS owns a particular item that I would like to preview but I cannot find it in this database. Why am I not able to find it?
There are two reasons why you may not be able to find an item you are sure we have in the collection. The item may not be digitized or it may be digitized but has not yet been uploaded to this database. If the item has not been digitized, we could provide this service for you. Please see our Rights and Reproductions page for fee information for this service.
4. May I put a Maryland Historical Society-owned image on to my personal blog or social networking page?
Yes, so long as you:
- Identify the author/artist of the image and the item ID (if included in the record) and credit the Maryland Historical Society using the authorized credit line: Courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society.
- Do not remove the Maryland Historical Society seal.
- Do not use the image to promote, advertise, or sell your own products or services or for any other commercial and unauthorized purposes.
- Do not publish the image in a book, magazine, newspaper, journal, etc.
All digital files, images, and data on the Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) web site are the property of the Maryland Historical Society. Copying or redistribution in any manner for personal or corporate gain is strictly prohibited. Any public or commercial use of these materials without prior written permission is also prohibited.
For more information about obtaining a digital reproduction and/or permission to use a digital image from the MdHS collection, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page.
Terms and Conditions
- All rights granted are non-exclusive.
- Permission for publication is for one time, one edition, one-publication use only. Additional uses or future reuse require additional fees and contracts.
- The images supplied are not to be cropped or altered in anyway without prior approval. If a cropped detail of an image is approved, the word “Detail” must appear in the caption.
- Only original photographic/digital materials supplied by the Department of Imaging Services of the Maryland Historical Society may be used for reproduction. Use of copied materials is prohibited.
- Possession of a Maryland Historical Society image does not constitute permission to use or publish the image.
- Required credit line: “ [Image ID, provided by MdHS] Courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society”. The credit line shall be used either adjacent to the image or in a place devoted to credits.
- The license to reproduce may not be transferred to a third party nor may any photographic materials, its derivatives or digital files be transferred to any other user.
- Upon publication or project completion, two copies of the publication or one copy of film/TV production must be sent to: Department of Imaging Services, 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
- The Maryland Historical Society reserves the right, at its sole discretion to deny license to reproduce to any applicant without explanation.