- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Did you know...
"On the evening of May 13, 1861, General Benjamin Butler and 1,000 Union soldiers arrived at Baltimore's Camden Street Station by train. Under the cover of a thunderstorm, they fortified Federal Hill to ensure the city of Baltimore remained under Union control, after the Pratt Street Riot less than a month earlier."
The Department of Imaging Services provides digital reproductions of items in the collection. We do not provide printed reproductions.
The Maryland Historical Society’s Department of Imaging Services provides individuals the opportunity to obtain a digital reproduction of almost any item in our expansive collection. Imaging Services provides digital reproductions of our vintage photographs from the 19th and 20th centuries, manuscripts, fine-art paintings, object art, works on paper collections, etc. Items on our website can be viewed through our Library or Museum pages using our online finding aids and/or catalog. Please note that not all of the MdHS collections are listed on our website. If there is a subject that you are particularly interested in, please see the Obtaining Image ID section of this page to learn more.
Once you have obtained the accession or image identification number of an item you would like a digital reproduction of, please fill out the imaging services order form and send it to email@example.com or by fax to 410-385-0487 or 410-385-2105. If you need assistance with filling out the order form, please see the Filling Out the Imaging Services Order form section of this page.
The Department of Imaging Services only offers preliminary assistance with research.
Obtaining Image ID
For help obtaining identification information for items such as photographs, manuscripts, and works on paper, please contact our Special Collections Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance obtaining accession or identification numbers for items such as paintings, object art, textiles, etc., please contact our Museum Department at email@example.com.
If substantial research is required for your inquiry, a research fee will apply. Our research fee is $40 per hour for members and $50 per hour for non-members.
The price lists below indicate what Imaging Services can provide in terms of reproductions and permission.
Digital Reproductions for Personal Usage
Indicating that you would like to use an image for personal use means that you will not publish or publicly exhibit the image before requesting permission to do so from the Department of Imaging Services. For example, requesting an image from Imaging Services for display in your home or personal office would be considered personal use.
Purchasing an image for reference purposes prior to publishing would also be considered personal use. However, permission should be requested after an image has been purchased, once it is certain that the image will be used. Possession of a Maryland Historical Society image does not constitute permission to use or publish the image.
Digital Reproductions for Publishing, Exhibition, Web, Etc. Usage
The Department of Imaging Services can provide permission to use images purchased from us through license agreement for the following usages:
- Book/Magazine/Catalog/Newspaper/Journal/Brochure Publishing
- Television/Film Production
- Video (VHS)/DVD/CD-Rom
- Electronic Book
- Bulk Printing (printed by patron)
The Department of Imaging Services generates contracts that specify the conditions of use of any image from our collection. Imaging Services will not sign contracts produced by outside parties.
Standard turnaround time is 14 business days for an imaging request that does not require New Photography and that is an order of less than 10 images. Please note that paying by check increases your turnaround time as Imaging Services does not supply reproductions or permissions prior to receiving payment.
The Department of Imaging Services provides a Rush Service option for patrons who need images or permissions sooner than 14 business days.
- Order to be completed within three business days: 150% surcharge
- Order to be completed within seven to ten business days: 100% surcharge
If you would like to request Rush Service for your order, please indicate this in your email to Imaging Services to confirm.
The Maryland Historical Society accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Discover credit cards for payment. This information can be written in the space provided on the order form. If you plan on paying by check, please do not send payment prior to receiving notice of your total from an Imaging Services staff member. Please note that paying by check increases your turnaround time as Imaging Services does not supply reproductions or permissions prior to receiving payment.
New Photography Fee
If you would like a digital reproduction of an item in our collection that has not been previously photographed, a New Photography fee will apply. Our fee is $60 per hour, one-hour minimum. Please note that it can take up to five weeks to complete an order that requires New Photography.
Terms and Conditions
- All rights granted are non-exclusive.
- Permission for publication is for one time, one edition, one publication use only. Additional uses or future reuse require additional fees and contracts.
- The images supplied are not to be cropped or altered in any way without prior approval. If a detail is approved, the word “Detail” must appear in the caption.
- Only original photographic/digital materials supplied by the Department of Imaging Services of the Maryland Historical Society may be used for reproduction. Use of copied materials is prohibited.
- Possession of a Maryland Historical Society image does not constitute permission to use or publish the image.
- Required credit line: “ [Image ID, provided by MdHS] Courtesy of the Maryland Historical Society”. The credit line shall be used either adjacent to the image or in a place devoted to credits.
- The license to reproduce may not be transferred to a third party nor may any photographic materials, its derivatives or digital files be transferred to any other user.
- Upon publication, two copies of the publication or one copy of film/TV production must be sent to: Department of Imaging Services, 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
- The Maryland Historical Society reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to deny license to reproduce to any applicant without explanation.
Filling Out the Imaging Services Order Form
If you need assistance with filling out the order form, please see the instructions below.
Part I: Patron Information. All patrons requesting images should fill out this section of the order form.
The most important points in this section of the order form are Name, Company (if not applicable, please either write in “N/A” or leave this section blank), Address, City/State/Zip, Phone, Email (if not applicable, please leave this section blank), and Today’s Date. If you are an MdHS Member at the Steward Level, you will receive a discount on your imaging request. If you are unsure whether or not you are at the Steward Level, please write in your member number and Imaging Services can obtain that information for you.
Part II: Service Requested. All patrons must fill out this portion of the order form. In this section you will indicate what type of service you are requesting.
- If you are requesting an image for personal or reference use, please check IMAGE REPRODUCTION (PERMISSION MUST BE PURCHASED PRIOR TO USE).
- If you have previously purchased a digital image from MdHS Department of Imaging Services and you would like permission to publish or exhibit the image, please check IMAGE PERMISSION ONLY.
- If you would like a digital image as well as permission to publish or exhibit the image, please check IMAGE REPRODUCTION AND PERMISSION.
Part III: Delivery Method. In this section, patrons requesting digital images will need to indicate how they would like to have the image delivered. Patrons requesting PERMISSION ONLY will not need to fill out this section.
- If you would like a CD-Rom with the image you have requested delivered to you via United States Postal Service, please check USPS FLAT PARCEL SHIPPING (ADD $10.00 FEE TO TOTAL).
- If you would like a CD-Rom with the image you have requested delivered to you via FedEx, please check FEDEX STANDARD OVERNIGHT SHIPPING (ADD $30.00 FEE TO TOTAL). The $30.00 fee applies to domestic shipments under one pound only.
- If you have your own FedEx account number and would like Imaging Services to ship using that account, please check PERSONAL FEDEX ACCOUNT and write in your account number in the space provided.
- If you would like the image to be uploaded to an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) address, please check PERSONAL FTP UPLOAD. Imaging Services uses Fetch to upload images to FTP. If you do not have an address that Imaging Services can access through Fetch, please do not check Personal FTP Upload. Imaging Services does not upload to FTP replacement websites.
- Email can only be used for delivery if a 300 DPI JPG image is requested.
Part IV: Payment Method. All patrons requesting services must fill out this portion of the order form. The Department of Imaging Services does not fulfill orders until payment has been received. Please indicate in this section of the order form which payment method you prefer.
- If you plan on paying by check, please note that this method will prolong your turnaround time. Please do not send checks along with you order form.
- If you plan on paying by credit card, MdHS accepts Discover, Mastercard, and Visa only. Paying by credit card will expedite your order.
Part V: Commercial vs. Non-profit. All patrons with a non-profit tax identification number must fill out this portion of the order form to receive discounted prices on permissions.
The Department of Imaging Services is happy to provide discounted prices for non-profit institutions who can provide a non-profit tax identification number. Please write in this number in the space provided. If you do not have a non-profit tax identification number, commercial fees will apply.
Part VI: Image Permission Information. Patrons requesting Permission Only or Image Reproduction and Permission must fill out this portion of the order form. This section is necessary for determining fees and producing an accurate invoice/contract.
REPRODUCTION MEDIUM: In this section please indicate the medium type that the image will be reproduced in. For example: Book, Magazine, Catalog, Brochure, Advertisement, Newspaper, Journal, Exhibition, Display, Presentation, Television Production, Film Production, Video (VHS), DVD, CD-Rom, Website, Webcast, Electronic Book, Bulk Printing.
AUTHOR/DESIGNER: Please write the name of the person who is the author or designer of the project.
TITLE OF MEDIUM: Please write in the title of your book, article, exhibition, etc.
PUBLISHER NAME nbps; ADDRESS: Please write in the name of your publisher or institution that is holding the exhibition and their address.
EXPECTED DATE OF PUBLICATION/EXHIBIT: Please write in the date or projected date that your project will be published or exhibited.
SIZE OF PRINT RUN/EXHIBIT: Please write in the print run of your book, magazine, etc. or if this is for exhibit purposes, the length of time your exhibit will be on display.
LANGUAGES/GEOGRAPHY: If your publication will be printed in one language and one continent, please write One language/One continent in this space. If your publication will be printed in one language and more than one continent, please write One Language/Worldwide. If your publication will be printed in more than one language and more than one continent, please write in All Languages/Worldwide.
IMAGE PLACEMENT AND SIZE: For image placement, we would like to know whether or not our image will be used on the cover or interior of a publication. Using an image on the cover of a publication has it’s own fee (please see Fees for Permission list). In this section, please write Cover or Interior. We would also like to know the size our image will be in your project. Please indicate the size in inches.
URL FOR WEB PUBLISHING: If you plan on publishing an image on a website or eBook, please write in the URL in this section. If you do not plan on publishing an image on the web, please leave this section blank.
Part VII, Page II: Image Reproduction Information. All patrons must fill out this section of the order form, even if requesting permission only. If this section of the order form is not filled out, Imaging Services will not know which image you are requesting.
ITEM ID: This is one of the most important areas in this section of the order form. If you know the accession or ID number for the image you are requesting, please write it on this line. If you need assistance determining the ID, please see the Obtaining Image ID section of this webpage.
AUTHOR/ARTIST: If you know the author or artist of the item you are requesting, please write it on this line.
TITLE: This is also one of the most important areas in this section of the order form. Please write in the title of the photograph, painting, object, textile, etc. in this section.
COLLECTION: The collection in which the item belongs to will not always be obvious so if you are unsure of the collection, please just leave this area blank.
DATE: If you know the date the item you are requesting was made or the date associated with the item, please write it on this line.
TYPE OF REPRODUCTION REQUESTED: If you are requesting a digital file of an item, please check DIGITAL FILE.
Please write in the DPI size you would like to request. Imaging Services can provide a small preview file at 72 DPI, a low-resolution file at 150 DPI, a medium resolution file at 300 DPI, or a high resolution file at 600 DPI. All files are sized at approximately 8 inches by 10 inches. Please see the fees for digital files on our Fees for Reproductions and Delivery list.
If you would like a JPG formatted image, please check JPG. If you would like a TIFF formatted image, please check TIFF.
If you plan on using the image on a PC, please check PC. If you plan on using the image on a Mac, please check MAC. If you are unsure about the type of computer the image will be used on, please check PC. Images formatted for PC can be used on both PCs and Mac computers.
PERMISSION ONLY: If you are requesting Permission Only for an image you have previously purchased from Imaging Services, please check PERMISSION ONLY.
Thank you for completing the Department of Imaging Services order form. You can return it to Imaging Services by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 410-385-0487/410-385-2105 or by mail to 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.