- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Did you know...
"On the evening of May 13, 1861, General Benjamin Butler and 1,000 Union soldiers arrived at Baltimore's Camden Street Station by train. Under the cover of a thunderstorm, they fortified Federal Hill to ensure the city of Baltimore remained under Union control, after the Pratt Street Riot less than a month earlier."
Wilson Family Collection - PP125
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
WILSON FAMILY COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, July 1999
Robert T. Wilson (1860-1919) and his wife Mabel Chunn Wilson (d. 1951) lived in Baltimore. Robert was a physician who trained at the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland before joining his father Dr. Henry P.C. Wilson (1827-1897) in practice in Baltimore. Henry and his wife Alicia Brewer Griffith Wilson (b. 1840) lived at 814 Park Avenue, and built a home for Robert and Mabel at 820 Park Avenue upon their marriage. Roberts siblings included Henrietta (Etta) Chauncey Wilson (Whiteley), Henry Parke Custis Wilson, William Griffith Wilson, Alicia Brewer Wilson (Barber), and Emily Brewer Wilson (Waters).
Henry, president of the American Gynaecological Society and one of the first gynecological surgeons in America, was born in Somerset County and graduated from the University of Maryland in 1851. Robert was also a surgeon; in later years he was affiliated with the Hospital for Women of Maryland and the Eudowood Sanatorium, and was involved in the anti-tuberculosis campaign. Robert was a member of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty and of the Royal Society of Medicine in London.
Henrietta (Etta) Chauncey Wilson Whiteley (b. 1863) married James Stone Whiteley (b. 1855) in 1888. They lived at 926 Cathedral St. in Baltimore, and had several children: Henrietta Chauncey Whiteley (1889-1890), Mabel Wilson Whiteley (b. 1891), and Eleanor Custis Whiteley (b. 1896).
Gift of Mrs. Edwin Nash Broyles, 1979 (74517).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 7 folders containing 8 photoprints made from 1881-1899. The photos are primarily studio portraits from Baltimore photographers, with a few less formal outdoor portraits. The subjects are family and friends of Dr. Robert T. Wilson and Etta Wilson Whiteley.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog number.
Box 1: 7 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP125.1 Eleanor Custis Whiteley, ca. 1899. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP125.2 Etta Wilson Whiteley, n.d. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 3
PP125.3 James S. Whiteley, n.d. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 4
PP125.4 Dr. Henry P.C. Wilson, n.d. 1 item.
PP125.5 William Wilson, Dr. Henry P.C. Wilson, and Alec Larned, n.d. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 5
PP125.6 Group portrait in Castine, Maine, n.d. Including Emily Wilson Waters, Robert Wilson, William Hodge, Etta Wilson Whiteley, Alicia Wilson Barber, Mabel C. Wilson, William Wilson, Dr. and Mrs. H.P.C. Wilson, and Mabel Whiteley. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 6
PP125.7 Group portrait, Wilson family, 1881. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 7
PP125.8 Group portrait of 2 couples, 1887. 1 item. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT