Old Town Merchants and Manufacturers Association Collection - PP101

Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library

OLD TOWN MERCHANTS AND MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION COLLECTION
1956
PP101

Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, January 2000 

 


History

The Old Town Merchants and Manufacturers Association was founded in 1883 as an organization of wholesale and retail merchants, formed to promote the interests of the Old Town section of East Baltimore along Gay Street and to deal with problems involving trade and more general civic issues. Officers in 1956 included Bernard L. Glazer, Charles E. Clough, Russell Loock, Charles W. Pohlman, and John C. Sponsel. The group held annual banquets; the one in February 1956 was held at the Lord Baltimore Hotel in Baltimore.


Collection Origin

Gift of Mr. H.E. Appel, 1981 (76234).


Scope and Contents

The collection consists of 1 box with 1 folder containing 1 photoprint made in 1956. The photo is a group portrait of officers of the Old Town Merchants and Manufacterers Association and guests at their Annual Banquet. People are identified.

Note: The collection also contains 14 folders with printed memorabilia and ephemera, including banquet programs, stationery, forms, reports, and brochures of the Old Town Merchants and Manufacturers Association.

Note: Related materials are found in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society: MS. 627, the Old Town Merchants and Manufacturers Association Minute Books, 1883-1933.


Arrangement

 The collection is housed in a single folder.

 


Container List

1 Box

Box 1: 1 Folder

Box 1, Folder 1
Group portrait of Old Town Merchants and Manufacturers Association and guests at 73rd Annual Banquet, 1956. Includes (l-r) Bernard L. Glazer, Md. Senator J. Glenn Beall, author and columnist Drew Pearson, and toastmaster C.R. Zarfoss. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT