- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Needham Collection - PP65
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, October 1999
The village of Lutherville in Baltimore county was founded in 1852 by a group of Lutherans, including Rev. Dr. John Gottlieb Morris (1803-1895), his brother Charles Morris, and Dr. Benjamin Kurtz.
Rev. Dr. John Morris, born in York, Penn., was a Lutheran minister, but also a teacher, writer, librarian, and naturalist. After 33 years as the pastor of the First English Lutheran Church of Baltimore and about 3 years as pastor of the Third Lutheran Church, he served as the first librarian of the Peabody Library in the 1860s. He was president of the Maryland Historical Society and of the German Historical Society at the time of his death. Morris also founded the Lutheran Female Seminary (also known as Female College at Lutherville and Maryland College for Women), and was at times a professor or lecturer at the Gettysburg Theological Seminary, the Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, and in the Natural History Department at the University of Maryland.
Married to Eliza Hay Morris (d. 1875), Morris had three children who survived infancy. Luther Morris Leisenring (1875-1965) was a grandson of Dr. Morris who went to study architecture at the University of Pennsylvania in 1896.
Eight miles north of Baltimore, the land on which Lutherville was founded had been part of several estates, including Amon Bosleys "Regulation" and Charles Ridgelys Hampton. The Talbot family provided land upon which the Northern Central Railroad tracks ran through the village. Barretts Delight, built around 1820, was a Ridgely family home located east of Lutherville on Pot Springs Rd.
Gift of Mr. George F. Needham, III, 1981 (76343).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 12 folders containing 43 items, which are photoprints and negatives made ca. 1880-1971. Subjects include people, homes and other buildings in Lutherville and Baltimore. Included are an undated group portrait of the Lutherville School, and a group portrait souvenir of a 1906 trip to Gettysburg, both with people identified.
Note: Related materials are found in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society: MS. 2649, Morris-Uhler Correspondence.
Note: The collection also contains printed ephemera including several sheets of North Baltimore Railway tickets, an 1895 program of Ashland Presbyterian Church in Lutherville, and an undated Charles St. Association directory.
The photographs are arranged by subject.
Box 1: 12 Folders (this is a folder level list).
Mt. Vernon Place, 1935. 1 item. Signed by Leopold.
Houses. 7 items. Includes Ivy Hill (Baltimore Co.), residence of Mr. James Schumacher, n.d.; Tulip Hill (?), interior, n.d.; Barretts Delight, 1960; Montrose, home of Asa Needham, copy of 1883 painting by Thomas Coke Ruckle; and Box Garden at Hampton, n.d., photograph by Luther Morris Leisenring;
People. 13 items. Includes Schumacher family; unidentified copy portraits of ca. 1860s man and woman; copies of 18th century portraits, unidentified; Margaret Reese Paxson, ca. 1920; Anne E. (Lynch) Needham and Asa Needham, color prints and negatives made 1971, copies of paintings by T.C. Ruckel; girls in flower costumes, ca. 1920.
Costumes. 1 item. Women in gowns, n.d.
Parks and Squares. 2 items. Postcards. Mt. Vernon Place, Baltimore, ca. 1925.
Xerox Reference Copies. 3 items. Includes group portrait of Lutherville School, people identified; and trip to Gettysburg, 1906, people identified.
Lutheran ministers, ca. 1890. 1 item. Central figure is John Gottlieb Morris, top row left is Charles Reuben Trowbridge.
Ashburton house, Gittings family home, front drawing room, n.d. 1 item.
Group at Gettysburg, 1906. 1 item. People identified on sheet in Xerox Reference Copies folder.
Public buildings. 2 items. Includes "New Court House (Baltimore) under construction", photograph by Luther Morris Leisenring; and stereoview of Baltimore fire, 1873.
Churches. 1 item. Church of the Redeemer, ca. 1880 (?).
Barretts Delight, n.d. 10 items (5 photoprints and 5 negatives). Photographs by Luther Morris Leisenring. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT