- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers' Home Collection - PP159
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
MARYLAND LINE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS' HOME COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, January 2000
The facility that became the Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers' Home in Pikesville (Baltimore Co.) dates back to 1818, when it was a Federal Arsenal. In 1888 it was converted into a residence for soldiers who served the Confederacy during the Civil War, remaining in operation until 1932. A brochure published by the home in the 1890s describes it as providing the veterans with: "a haven of rest . . . to which they may retire and find refuge, and, at the same time, lose none of their self-respect, nor suffer in the estimation of those whose experience in life is more fortunate".
At the time of its opening, the Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers' Home was a prominent feature of Pikesville, which otherwise had only two dozen houses. The population of the home reached 139 after the first five and a half years of operation. A place of special pride at the home was the relic room, where trophies and memorabilia were displayed along with portraits of Confederate military leaders including Harry Gilmor, Henry Little, Lloyd Tilghman, Isaac Trimble, William Murray, and Raphael Semmes.
In Baltimore City, over 1000 Confederate soldiers are buried at Loudon Park Cemetery, 700 of them in a separate section. The Confederate Monument at the cemetery was created by sculptor F. Volck in 1870. In Pennsylvania, the 2nd Maryland Infantry C.S.A. Monument on Culps Hill at Gettysburg Battlefield was created by J.A. and W.T. Wilson and dedicated ca. 1886.
Transfer from Gallery, 1989 (002809) and 1992 (003964).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box containing 20 photoprints made in ca. 1861-1900 with 2 large photographs stored separately (not found). Subjects are facilities and residents of the Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers' Home in Pikesville (Baltimore Co.).
Portraits of individual Confederate officers include William H. Murray, Franklin Buchanan, Josiah Tatnall, Harry Gilmor, Isaac R. Trimble, Wade Hampton, and Bradley T. Johnson. There are group portraits of C.S.A. regiment reunions and other outings.
Other images include: a view of memorabilia in a relic room ("Confederate Bazaar"), a horse-drawn covered carriage with driver, wheel chairs, a carriage house, the Confederate Monument in Loudon Park Cemetery (Baltimore, Md.), and the 2nd Maryland Infantry C.S.A. Monument on Culp's Hill at Gettysburg Battlefield (Penn.).
Note: Related materials are found in the Maryland Historical Society. In the Manuscripts Department: MS. 256, Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers' Home Record Books, 1882-1932; MS. 257, Confederate Record Books, 1861-1865; and MS. 2825, Collection of the Army and Navy of the Confederate States in Maryland, 1871-1926.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog numbers. Items are stored individually in folders.
1 Box and 2 large photographs
PP159.1 - Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers Home, ca. 1890. Shows horse-drawn carriage and driver.
PP159.2 - Stonewall Jackson Infirmary, ca. 1890. Dup/copy neg Z24.1474.
PP159.3 - Outbuilding, ca. 1890. Dup/copy neg Z24.1475.
PP159.4-6 - Maryland Line Confederate Soldiers Home, ca. 1890.
PP159.7 - Group portrait of veterans, can. 1895.
PP159.8 - Group portrait of veterans, ca. 1895. Dup/copy neg Z24.1476.
PP159.9 - Group portrait of veterans and others at 2nd Maryland Infantry C.S.A. Monument at Culp's Hill, Gettysburg, Penn., ca. 1886.
PP159.10 - Confederate Monument at Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore, ca. 1870. Dup/copy neg Z24.1473.
PP159.11 - Admiral Franklin Buchanan (1800-1874) and Commodore Josiah Tatnall (1795-1871), ca. 1870.
PP159.12 - Relic room with memorabilia, "Confederate Bazaar", 1898. Dup/copy neg Z24.1477.
PP159.13 - (this item is a print, housed separately)
PP159.14 - General Henry Douglas Kyd (1838-1903), ca. 1870. Framed albumen print.
PP159.15 - Group portrait of veterans and their friends at Pen Mar, 1890.
PP159.16 - General Wade Hampton (1818-1902) and General Bradley T. Johnson (1829-1903), ca. 1900. Dup/copy neg Z24.1481.
PP159.17 - Group portrait of veterans and others at 2nd Maryland Infantry C.S.A. Monument at Culp's Hill, Gettysburg, Penn., 1894. Dup/copy neg Z24.1480.
PP159.18 - Group portrait of veterans and others at 2nd Maryland Infantry C.S.A. Monument at Culp's Hill, Gettysburg, Penn., ca. 1890.
PP159.19 - Major General Isaac R. Trimble (1802-1888), ca. 1865. Crayon photograph. Dup/copy neg Z24.1482.
PP159.20 - Colonel Harry Gilmor (1838-1883), ca. 1863.
Large photographs, stored separately (ITEMS NOT FOUND)
PP159.21 - 53rd Maryland Regiment C.S.A., ca. 1861. Includes Clapham Murray (ca. 1837-1925), Robert Hough, and Capt. William H. Murray.
PP159.22 - General Lloyd Tilghman (1816-1863), ca. 1863. Crayon photograph, ca. 1885 (posthumous portrait?). © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT