- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Did you know...
"On the evening of May 13, 1861, General Benjamin Butler and 1,000 Union soldiers arrived at Baltimore's Camden Street Station by train. Under the cover of a thunderstorm, they fortified Federal Hill to ensure the city of Baltimore remained under Union control, after the Pratt Street Riot less than a month earlier."
Jamison (Harrison) Collection - PP14
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Mayland Historical Society Library
JAMISON (HARRIS) COLLECTION
Not dated and 1876-ca. 1890
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, April 2000
W. (William) Hall Harris (1852-1938) was a lawyer who served as Baltimores postmaster during the presidential administration of Theodore Roosevelt. He also served several years as president of the Maryland Historical Society, and was a member of the University Club and of the Society of the Cincinnati. The only child of lawyer and congressman J. Morrison Harris (1817-1898) and Sidney Calhoun Hall Harris (b. 1823), Harris married Alice (Patterson) Harris, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Patterson, and their children were Mary Patterson Harris (Sherburne) (b. 1878), James Morrison Harris (1879-1947), W. Hall Harris (1881-1968), and Henry P. Harris (b. 1887). W. Hall Harris Senior and Junior formed a law practice along with H. Oliver Thompson.
One of W. Hall Harris homes was the estate known as Ivy Hill near Herring Run in northeast Baltimore. The adjoining estate was Eutaw, owned at one time by Col. Josias Hall, then by his son Col. Benedict William Hall (1790-1843) who was the father of Sidney Calhoun Hall, and who held slaves including Jeremiah and Venus Tilghman. Modern day Parkwood Drive at the northern edge of Herring Run Park was originally known as Eutaw Ave.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Jamison (Louise Harris Jamison), 1980 (75111).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 16 photoprints made which are undated and from 1876-ca. 1890. Subjects include portraits of the family of W. Hall Harris and Alice (Patterson) Harris, and a copy photo from a daguerreotype of Jeremiah and Venus Tilghman who were slaves held by Col. B.W. Hall. There are also images of Ivy Hill, a Harris family home near Herring Run in northeast Baltimore
Note: Related materials are held in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society: MS. 2739, the J(ames) Morrison Harris Papers. The Prints and Photographs Division also holds a daguerreotype of Jeremiah and Venus Tilghman which may be the source of the copy photograph in this collection; it is Cased Photograph #156.
Note: Collection not found 4/2000.
Arrangement unknown. Inventory compiled from accession document.
1. Henry Patterson, n.d. 2 items. Cabinet photoprints by Blessing and Kuhn, Baltimore, 16 x 11 cm.
2. Alice Patterson (Harris), 1876. 2 items. Cabinet photoprints by Clinedienst, Baltimore, 17 x 11 cm.
3. Alice Patterson (Harris), ca. 1890. 1 item. Cabinet photoprint by Blessing and Co., Baltimore, 17 x 11 cm.
4. Jeremiah and Venus Tilghman, n.d. 1 item. Copy cabinet photograph by Cummins, from daguerreotype.
5. Mary Patterson Harris, ca. 1880. 1 item. Cabinet photoprint.
6. James Morrison Harris and Henry Patterson Harris, 1888. 1 item. Cabinet photoprint by Walzl, Baltimore.
7. Mr. and Mrs. James Morrison Harris, Mr. and Mrs. W. Hall Harris, Mary Patterson Harris, James Morrison Harris, W. Hall Harris, and Henry Patterson Harris of Ivy Hill, ca. 1888. 1 item.
8. Louisa Triplett Harris Haxall, ca. 1890. 1 item. Carte de visite photoprint by Jeffres and Rogers, Baltimore.
9. Ivy Hill, n.d. 1 item. 13 x 22 cm.
10. Ivy Hill from North Meadow, n.d. 1 item. 18 x 21 cm.
11. Herring Run, between "Eutaw" and "Ivy Hill", n.d. 21 x 26 cm.
12. Bust of George Washington, n.d. 2 items.
13. Stone plaque of the Calvert Arms, Mason-Dixon Line, n.d. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT