- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Featured Collections
- Library News & Updates
- PLAN A VISIT
- SUPPORT MDHS
Henry Keidel Collection - PP117
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
HENRY KEIDEL COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, July 1999
Henry Keidel (1840-1919) was born in Salzgitter, Hanover, Germany, the son of Dr. George Keidel (d. 1875) , a government physician who was affiliated with the University of Goettingen. The family came to Baltimore in 1852. Henry Keidel attended private schools, and founded the Henry Keidel and Co. firm in the 1860s, a hardware enterprise located at 407 W. Redwood St. in Baltimore. A Catonsville resident, he was married to Adela Lawrence Keidel, and was survived at the time of his death by two sons and two daughters.
Howard A. Tschudy (d. 1981) was employed at the Henry Keidel and Co. firm starting in 1904, initially as a clerk. In 1965, he became the owner of the company. A Dickeyville resident, he lived at 2505 Pickwick Rd. Howard Tschudy was a member of the Baltimore Hardware Club, and the American Hardware Manufacturers Association.
Gift of Donald Tschudy, 1987 (001822).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 2 folders containing 8 photoprints made between 1908 and 1942. In addition to portraits of Henry Keidel and other individuals, including a group photograph of the staff of Henry Keidel and Co., there are scenes in Dickeyville and Hillsdale, and several unidentified buildings.
Note: There is 1 folder with 2 pieces of printed ephemera.
Note: Related materials are found in MS. 2802, the Keidel, Henry and Co. Collection, 1906-1967 in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society.
Note: Related materials are found in PP87, the Donald T. Tschudy Collection in the Print and Photographs Department of the Maryland Historical Society.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog number. The item stored in "Medium Photograph" area is filed under the PP collection number (PP117).
Box 1: 2 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP117.2 Byron Lippert, ca. 1910. 1 item.
PP117.3 Henry Keidel and Company picnic, group portrait, 1908. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP117.4 Unidentified house with front porch, ca. 1910. 1 item.
PP117.5 Unidentified winter street scene with church, ca. 1930. 1 item.
PP117.6 Unidentified street scene showing gabled house with gingerbread trim, ca. 1930. 1 item.
PP117.7 Pickwick Road, Dickeyville, 1942. 1 item.
PP118.8 Ashland Department Store and Hillsdale Post Office, ca. 1930. 1 item.
Items stored in "Medium Photographs" area
PP117.1 Henry Keidel, signed A.B. Hargett, 1920. 1 item. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT