- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- From your Computer!
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Gover Family Collection - PP132
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
GOVER FAMILY COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, October 1999
People by the name of Gover lived in Harford County, Md. dating back to the 1700s, and many were there throughout the 19th century, so it is difficult to accurately place the people depicted in this collection. There were Govers who owned land and slaves at Deer Creek Lower Hundred and Susquehanna Hundred in the late 1700s (the "Hundred" was a geographic area thought capable of producing one hundred men for military service). Gideon, Gittings, Philip and Samuel Gover all fought in the Revolutionary War. Robert Gover was a landowner at "Elberton", and Samuel Gover was appointed overseer of roads in 1785.
In the early 19th century (ca. 1810-1825), Samuel and Elizabeth Giles Gover operated a boarding school and day school for young girls near Rock Run, with classes taught by their daughters Margaret, Hannah, Susan, and Caroline; after the school closed, the Gover daughters established a school at St. Paul and Saratoga St. in Baltimore. James A. Gover ran an inn in Belair sometime after 1830. Gerard (also written Jarrett) Gover built Govers Mill in 1854 on Deer Creek near Trappe Church, a flour mill which was sold to Benjamin Noble in 1869. This may have been the same Gerard Gover who married Cassandra G. Smithson in 1850.
There were also Govers in Baltimore in the mid-1800s who had ties to Harford Co. Philip Gover of Baltimore married Sallie R. Moores of Harford Co. in 1854, possibly the same Philip Gover who was a stock and exchange broker in the city in the 1860s. Gerard and George P. Gover also worked in banking and brokerage in Baltimore in the 1850s-1860s. In 1860, the Baltimore directory listed both as working with the Josiah Lee and Co. banking firm in Baltimore, but living in Harford Co. By 1865, G.P. was principal of the Gover, Hardesty & Co. brokerage, and Philip Gover has the Philip Gover and Co. brokerage, both in the city. Another Baltimore financial institution with Gover participation was Gover and Gardner, commission merchants, with H.T. Gover and A.S. Gardner.
The exact lines of descent leading to individuals depicted in this collection are unclear, but identified people are as follows: Anna Moores Gover (1860-1933) who married Thomas Murdock MacRae, Anne Lee Moores (1841-1899), Mary Priscilla Gover, Cassandra Gover Hopkins, Viginia Lee, and Otho Parker. Most of the portraits were made at commercial studios in Baltimore.
Gift of Mr. Carroll D. Hill, 1986 (001480).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 5 folders containing 10 photoprints made between ca. 1860 and 1907. The subjects are Gover family friends, mainly studio portraits, some with props. The portraits are all in carte de visite format, including tintypes and albumen prints. There is one photograph of the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad station in Belair, 1907.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog numbers.
Box 1: 5 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP132.1 Anna Gover (1860-1933), ca. 1878.
PP132.2 Anna Moores Gover, ca. 1866.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP132.3 Mary Priscilla Gover, ca. 1864-1866.
PP132.4 Mary Priscilla Gover, n.d.
Box 1, Folder 3
PP132.5 Belair Station, Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad, 1907.
PP132.6 Cassandra Gover Hopkins, ca. 1864-1866.
Box 1, Folder 4
PP132.7 Virginia Lee, ca. 1890.
PP132.8 Anne Lee Moores (1841-1889), ca. 1860.
Box 1, Folder 5
PP132.9 Otho Parker, ca. 1870.
PP132.10 Unidentified man with beard, ca. 1870. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT