- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Gail-Hinrichs Family Collection - PP152
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division fo the Maryland Historical Society Library
GAIL-HINRICHS FAMILY COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, September 1999
The Gail and Hinrichs families had homes on the same block in Baltimores Bolton Hill neighborhood ca. 1890-1910. The G.W. Gail mansion was on Eutaw Place and the Hinrichs home on Linden Ave., in the block between Ducatel Street on the south and Whitelock Street on the north. Between the two houses and occupying the rest of the block were gardens and a playground. The Hinrichs family moved here from John St. in 1887 or 1888. Their house had been moved down the hill ca. 1880 when the Gail house was built; it had been the Felgner family farm house before that.
Ella and John E. (b. 1856) Hinrichs were the heads of the Hinrichs family in 1900. Their children were W. Christopher (1884-1945), Marie A. MacGill (1887-after 1960), John E. (1890-1940), Ernest Henry (1891-ca. 1970), and Paul C. (1898-ca. 1968). Ernest H. Hinrichs attended Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland Dental School, becoming a dentist who practiced for many years at 2318 N. Charles St. Paul C. Hinrichs graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1920, and received a masters degree in drama from Hopkins in 1951; he was a playwright, stage director, and professor of dramatics at Goucher College.
The Gail and Hinrichs families were related; Ella Hinrichs parents were George Wilhelm Gail (b. 1828, Giessen, Germany) and Mary Sophie Felgner (b. 1837, Baltimore). G.W. Gail was a principal in the Gail and Ax Tobacco Company, established ca. 1860. The plant at Charles and Barre Sts. had 350 employees, processing tobacco for snuff, chewing, and smoking. Ella Hinrichs brother, George William Gail, Jr. (b. 1864) served as Fire Commissioner of Baltimore at the time of the 1904 Baltimore Fire.
Other children in the photographs are also related to the Hinrichs and the Gails: the Schmeisser family were cousins through the Gail family, and Ella and Charles Meyer were the (possibly adopted) children of Charles F. Meyer and Nanny Gail.
Gift of Dr. E. Henry Hinrichs, Jr., 1991 (003716).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 17 folders containing 27 photoprints. The subjects are Hinrichs and Gail family members, and scenes of their homes in Bolton Hill in Baltimore, most taken between 1890 and 1905. There are photos of the Hinrichs home on Linden Ave., the Gail family mansion on Eutaw Place and a residence in Roland Park. There is a photograph of children with a play house and one of adults on bicycles. There is also a group portrait of a 40th class reunion of Johns Hopkins University, ca. 1952.
The photographs are arranged by PP catalog number, and by subject.
Box 1: 17 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP152.1 Hinrichs home at 2302 Linden Ave., ca. 1900. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP152.2 Dr. Ryland O. Sadlers office at 2318 N. Charles St., interior, 1900. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 3
PP152.3 Group of bicyclists, including Ella Hinrichs, ca. 1905. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 4
PP152.4 Chris, John, Ink and Paul, 1932. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 5
PP152.5-.6 Hinrichs children, 1900 and ca. 1905. 2 items. Includes children and playhouse, and group portrait of Chris, Marie, John, Ernest, and Paul.
Box 1, Folder 6
PP152.7-.8 Hinrichs family, 1901. 2 items.
Box 1, Folder 7
PP152.9-.12 Gail estate on Eutaw Place, ca. 1900. 4 items.
Box 1, Folder 8
PP152.13 3504 Newland Rd., ca. 1927. 1 item.
PP152.14 Hinrichs monument, Druid Hill Park, ca. 1930. 1 item. Monument by Schuler (?).
PP152.15-.16 210 Goodwood Gardens, 1906 and ca. 1910. 2 items.
Box 1, Folder 9
PP152.17 Corner of Whitelock and Eutaw Sts., ca. 1890. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 10
PP152.18 Mr. and Mrs. John E. Hinrichs, ca. 1898. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 11
PP152.19 Group including Mrs. Ella Hinrichs and children at 2301 Linden Ave., ca. 1905. 1 item. Includes Schmeisser and Meyer children, and Beatson Jones.
Box 1, Folder 12
PP152.20 View of Callowville, 1890. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 13
PP152.21-.23 Scenes from 2301 Linden Ave., 1890-1892. 3 items.
Box 1, Folder 14
PP152.24 40th class reunion, Johns Hopkins University, ca. 1952. 1 item. Group portrait with Ernest Hinrichs.
Box 1, Folder 15
PP152.25 Group portrait with John Hinrichs, ca. 1910. 1 item. Cable Code Company.
Box 1, Folder 16
PP152.26 Garden on Linden Ave. (at Hinrichs house?), n.d. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 17
PP152.27 Linden Ave., SE corner of Ducatel St., 1890. 1 item. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT