Gaddess Collection - PP68

Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library

GADDESS COLLECTION
1884
PP68

Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, July 1999


History

The Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works was a stone working operation specializing in cemetery work, producing marble and granite statuary, monuments, tablets, and vases. In 1884, the proprietors were brothers Charles W. (d. 1897), Thomas S., and Virginius Gaddess. These men took over the business in 1864 from their father, Alexander Gaddess, Jr. (1799-1873), who learned the stone working craft in apprenticeship to Thomas Towson on New Church St. ca. 1817. Alexander Gaddess joined Towson and another man in the the firm Towson, Anderson, Gaddess in the 1820s, with quarters at the corner of New Church and South Streets. Before long, Gaddess operated independently, and during the 1850s his business was called The Phoenix Marble Works, at the corner of Sharp and German Streets in Baltimore. By 1884, the Baltimore Directory shows the address of the Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works as 110 S. Charles St. for the workshop, and 21 N. Charles St. for the office and showroom.


Collection Origin

Gift of G. Harvey Davis, 1982 (76422).


Scope and Contents

The collection 1 folder with 1 photograph, a clear front view of the Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works building, dated 1884.

Note: There is also 1 folder containing 3 items of printed ephemera.

Note: Related materials are found in the following collections in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society: MS. 2580, Carter-Gaddess Genealogical Material; MS. 1946, Gaddess Papers; and MS. 379, Gaddess Collection.


Arrangement

The photograph is housed in 1 folder.


Container List

1 Box

Box 1: 1 Folder

Box 1, Folder 1
Gaddess Brothers Steam Marble Works, 1884. 1 item. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT