- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Ethel Hoen Hanson Collection - PP17
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
ETHEL HOEN HANSON COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, July 1999
Ethel Hoen Hanson (1890-1980) was the daughter of Adolph G . (d. 1911) and Helen H. (Nixdorff) Hoen (1851-1947). Adolph, a son of the founder of the A. Hoen and Company lithography firm in Baltimore, was a physician who formerly directed the Pasteur Institute at Richmond, Va. Ethel had three brothers: Augustus, and twins Ralph and Stanley (d. 1960). At some point the family had a house called Westerwald located in Waverly near Tinges Lane and Gorsuch Avenue, which was torn down to make way for the construction of 33rd Street. Ethel was a 1905 graduate of the Maryland Institute, and married Benjamin Peter Hanson, Jr. Ethels brother Stanley attended the Maryland Agricultural College, graduating in 1907.
Note: The name of the collection is variously given as Ethel Hoen Hanson, Ethel Hoen Wilder, and Susan Wilder. The correct name is Ethel Hoen Hanson.
Gift of Susan Wilder, 1980 (75549).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 1 folder and 3 albums, containing 440 photoprints from ca. 1890-1910 which are primarily snapshots of Ethel Hoen, her family, friends, and pets. Most images show recreational activities such as picnics, swimming, boating, automobiling, and sightseeing. Many photographs of people have been trimmed along the outline of a persons head or figure prior to being pasted into the albums.
Locations include Baltimore city, Towson, Relay, Ellicott City, Cecil County, Marylands Eastern Shore, Back River, Tolchester, Fort McHenry, and Gwynn Oak Park. There are photographs of the 1904 Baltimore Fire, especially of people viewing the ruins, and one photograph shows a horse-drawn fire-fighting outfit racing to a fire in Waverly, ca. 1903.
Other subjects include sports scenes at the Maryland Agricultural College and two schoolroom scenes: a studio at the Maryland Institute, and a classroom at St. Johns Episcopal School in Waverly.
Note: Related materials can be found in the Alfred T. Hoen Papers, which is MS. 2342 in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society.
Note: The collection includes two pieces of printed ephemera; one is Ethel Hoen Hansons bookplate.
Loose photographs are housed in 1 folder titled "Ethel Hoen Hanson and family", with the remainder contained in 3 albums which hold 30, 131, and 270 photos, respectively.
Box 1: 1 Folder, 3 Albums
Box 1, Folder 1
Ethel Hoen Hanson and family. Ethel Hoen Hanson as a child, as a student at the Maryland Institute, and smoking a pipe; Ralph and Stanley Hoen (twins) as children, and with their nurse Josie; a classroom at St. Johns Episcopal School in Waverly; mangled photoprint of man in apron (in studio?); horse-drawn fire-fighting outfit racing to fire in Waverly, ca. 1903; Ethel and Benjamin Peter Hanson standing outside Goucher College, ca. 1908. 9 items.
11.5 x 14 cm., with 30 photoprints. Some photos are captioned. Subjects include the 1904 Baltimore Fire.
27 x 25 cm., with 270 photoprints. Some photos are captioned; captions and some photographs are faded. Album has initials "E.H." stamped on front cover. Subjects include family, friends, pets, and recreation.
27 x 25 cm., with 131 photoprints. Some photos are captioned; captions and some photographs are faded. Album has a card with "Miss Ethel Hoen" pasted to front cover. Subjects include family, friends, pets, recreation, the 1904 Baltimore Fire, Back River, Ft. McHenry, and the Maryland Institute. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT