- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- School Programs
- Teacher Resources
- Adult Education
- Family & Youth Programs
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
College Club Collection - PP86
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
COLLEGE CLUB COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, August 1999
The College Club, Inc. is the Baltimore Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), a social and community action group founded in 1894 and chartered in 1908 for the purpose of gathering together women with college backgrounds to socialize and exchange ideas. Among the original founders and members were Dr. Lilian Welsh, Dr. Mary Sherwood, Dr. Florence Sabin, Mrs. Fabian Ladd-Franklin, Miss Julia Rogers, and Mrs. A. Morris Carey.
In addition to cultivating its many cultural interests, the College Club developed into a community action organization involving themselves internationally as well as nationally and locally. In both world wars, the club was involved in giving aid to Britain, and in national defense at home. In more recent years, the club sponsored exchange programs enabling foreign women to study and work in Baltimore. Nationally, the group supported womens suffrage, and sponsored guest speakers and study groups to educate themselves on issues.
Locally, members of this group raised money for undergraduate scholarships to Goucher College, and eventually, through the AAUW, helped provide funds for women to do graduate work in a variety of fields, both abroad and in the United States. They also provided clothing and funds to local charitable organizations. Depending upon the interests of the current membership, the College Club has had a constant history of service to the community and nation.
Gift of the College Club, Inc., Baltimore Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), 1983 (000326).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 4 folders containing 12 photographs, for which dates range from 1954 to ca. 1970. The photographs depict activities of the group during the 1950s, including a holiday party attended by exchange students, and a College Club booth at the Flower Mart in Mt. Vernon Square in Baltimore. There is also a photograph of the clubs quarters ca. 1955, and the campus of an unidentified university, possibly the University of Maryland in College Park.
Note: Related materials are found in the following collection in the Manuscripts Department of the Maryland Historical Society: MS. 2555, College Club Records; MS. 2697, The College Club, Inc. Records Supplement; and MS. 2863, The College Club, Inc. Records Supplement II.
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog number, and by subject.
Box 1: 4 Folders
Box 1, Folder 1
PP86.1 College Club, foreign students at Christmas, 1954. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 2
PP86.2 College Club, Club House at 601 W. 40th St. (Baltimore, Md.), ca. 1955. 1 item.
Box 1, Folder 3
PP86.3-.7 College Club at Flower Mart, ca. 1955. 5 items.
Box 1, Folder 4
PP86.8-.12 Unidentified college campus (U. of Maryland, College Park?), n.d. (ca. 1970). 5 items. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT