- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- From your Computer!
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Bernet Album - PP4
Maryland Historical Society
Photograph Collection Inventory List
Special Collections Department
201 West Monument Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
410-685-3750 x359; firstname.lastname@example.org
BERNET ALBUM, PP4
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, October 1999
For information about how to purchase digital reproductions and for permission information, please visit the Rights and Reproductions page.
The northwest part of Baltimore city in the 1880s was a mixture of large estates and streets of row homes. A major feature of the area was Eutaw Place, where a large boulevard with shade trees and statuary extended from Dolphin St. to the northern city line, the gift of Henry Tiffany to the city in 1853.
The Altamont Hotel on Eutaw Place was new in 1886, developed by W.L. Stork as a modern structure with central heat and filtered water. The elegant building had carved wooden stairways, stained glass, and tiled fireplaces; residents' amenities included billiard and reading rooms.
North of the city line, Druid Hill Park was established in 1860 on land from the Lloyd N. Rogers estate. This elaborate oasis was the site of many ponds, springs, and reservoirs, with various facilities for recreation and entertainment, including picnic pavilions, music stands, and the zoo. All of this was accessible by horse-drawn street cars which travelled from the city via residential Bolton Hill streets such as Linden Ave.
Also north of the city line was the Cloverdale estate, the extent of which was from the south edge of Druid Hill Lake to Whitelock St., and from Madison Ave. to Park Ave. It was the home of Walter Booth Brooks (1823-1896), president of the Canton Co., and his wife Caroline Cole Brooks. The house was built in the 1830s by Brooks' parents, B&O Railroad president Chauncey Brooks (1794-1880) and Marilla Phelps Brooks.
Gift of Mrs. Edwin Bernet, 1976 (72119).
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 photograph album with 39 mounted photoprints. The photographs, which are mostly captioned and dated, originated in 1886-1887, in Baltimore city and county. Baltimore city subjects include Bolton Hill: the Altamont Hotel and Eutaw Place street scenes, and interiors of a home at 1515 Linden St. including Christmas decorations and toys; Druid Hill Park; the Walter B. Brooks residence, Cloverdale; and dry goods warehouse interiors. Subjects outside of Baltimore city include a day school operated by the Powhatan Manufacturing Company (Baltimore Co.); and people and landscapes connected with the Piedmont Manganese and Iron Co. (Nelson Co., Va.).
The photographs remain in the album.
Container List (1 Box)
1 album. 18 x 28 cm.
Druid Hill Park, 1887. 7 items.
Collie Shepherd Dog of Mr. Lewis, with portrait of two children, 1887. 3 items. Dup/copy neg Z24.1796.
Cloverdale, residence of Walter B. Brooks, 1887. 2 items.
Linden Ave. street scenes (corner McMechen), with people including children, n.d. 2 items. Dup/copy negs Z24.228, and Z24.229.
Horse-drawn street car, n.d. 1 item. Dup/copy neg Z24.230.
Interior views of 1515 Linden Ave., n.d. and 1886. 4 items. Includes Christmas tree with toys and parlor. Dup/copy neg Z24.1799, Z24.1876, and Z24.1877.
Eutaw Place street scenes, with people including children, 1887. 2 items.
Altamont Hotel (Eutaw Pl.) with people including children, n.d. and 1887. 2 items. Dup/copy neg Z24.227.
Piedmont Manganese and Iron Company (Nelson Co., Va.), 1887. 13 items. Includes workers, machinery, landscapes, ruins of Cabell Mine.
Day School of the Powhatan Manufacturing Co. (Baltimore Co.), group portrait of children, n.d. 1 item.
Interior views of dry goods warehouses, one at Hopkins Place, n.d. 2 items.