Bay View Asylum Receipt Collection, 1866-1886, MS 2532

Finding Aid to the Bay View Asylum Receipt Collection, 1866-1886, MS 2532

H. Furlong Baldwin Library, Maryland Historical Society

 

Collection summary 

Title

Bay View Asylum Receipt Collection

Creator

Bay View Asylum

Call number

MS 2532

Inclusive dates

1866-1886

Bulk dates

1881-1886

Extent

1 box, 6 folders

Abstract

Contains receipts and cancelled checks for items purchased for the Bay View Asylum from 1866 to 1886.

Administrative summary

Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library

Maryland Historical Society

201 W. Monument St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

www.mdhs.org

specialcollections@mdhs.org

Access restrictions

Open to the public without restrictions.

Use restrictions

Permission to quote must be received in writing from the Special Collections Librarian.

Provenance

Purchase from Harris Auction Galleries, July 21, 1982

Accession number

76620

Processing note

Finding aid created by Lara Westwood, October, 2014

 

Historical Note

The Bay View Asylum was founded in 1773 as the Baltimore City and County Almshouse for the poor of both Baltimore City and County. It was situated about a half mile outside of the young city on the western outskirts and took in those who needed work, shelter, and health care. The almshouse held men and women, including African-Americans, and prisoners convicted of vagrancy. Expansion of the city forced the facility was move. An estate called “Calverton,” the former house of banker Dennis A. Smith, was purchased and renovated in 1820. The estate housed the institution for almost 50 years until another move became necessary.

In 1866, the almshouse became Bay View Asylum and moved to the southeastern edge of the city on what is now Eastern Avenue. The property proximity to and view of the Chesapeake Bay inspired its new moniker. The asylum continued its care of the poor and mentally ill. Bay View admitted psychiatric patients until the 1930’s, but also expanded it scope of care as the Baltimore City Hospitals. In 1982, Baltimore City Hospitals merged with Johns Hopkins Hospital to become the Bayview Medical Center.

 Scope and Content

The collection contains receipts and cancelled checks for items purchased for the Bay View Asylum from 1866 to 1886. The purchased items include sundries, food, and other products necessary to the daily operations of the asylum. A payroll for December of 1883 is also a part of the collection. It lists employees and positions and their respective pay. The collection is organized chronologically.

 Container List

Contents

Dates

Box

Folder

Payroll

1883, December 28

1

1

Bills and cancelled checks

1866, 1878-1879

1

2

Bills and cancelled checks

1880

1

3

Bills and cancelled checks

1881-1882

1

4

Bills and cancelled checks

1883-1884

1

5

Bills and cancelled checks

1885-1886

1

6

 

 

 

 

 

Games