- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- From your Computer!
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Collection - PP111
Collection finding aids of Photograph Collections in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Maryland Historical Society Library
THE BALTIMORE AND OHIO RAILROAD COLLECTION
Prints and Photographs Division, Maryland Historical Society
201 W. Monument St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Finding aid created by Katherine Cowan with funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, July 1999
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad began operation in 1827, and would soon transport passengers from Mt. Clare, Mt. Royal and Camden Stations in Baltimore to destinations in New York, Washington, Cumberland, Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, and to points in between.
After the Civil War, the railroad company wished to increase ridership by capitalizing on the scenic beauty of its routes through areas such as the valleys of the Patapsco, Cheat, and Ohio Rivers. The company made a concerted effort to upgrade the appointments of its cars to provide riders with comfort and luxury during their journeys, and developed a system of restaurants and hotels along their routes to provide convenient, enjoyable resting points or holiday destinations.
One hotel built by the company was the Deer Park Hotel, which opened in 1873 near Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland. Situated in the Alleghany Mountains, the four-story building with mansard roof had 104 sleeping rooms, spacious dining and sitting rooms, and a handsome veranda. An adjoining building housed a billiard room and ten-pin bowling alley, a house band provided music for dancing, and there were trout streams nearby for anglers.
Gift of the Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of American History, Division of Engineering, 1985 (001228). The collection originated with the B and Railroad.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 folder with 6 modern photoprints made from glass negatives made ca. 1900-1925. There are 20 negatives (glass and film), of which only 6 have been printed. The subject of the photographs is Victorian houses and hotels in the vicinity of Oakland, Maryland (Garrett County), including the Deer Park Hotel in Deer Park.
The photoprints are arranged according to PP catalog number.
Box 1: 1 Folder
Box 1, Folder 1
PP111.1 - Victorian house, summer cottages (Deer Park, Md.). 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2225.
PP111.4 - Victorian cottages (Deer Park, Md.). 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2231, dup/copy negative Z24.1132.
PP111.9 - Porch of Deer Park Hotel. 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2236.
PP111.11 - Deer Park Hotel sitting room. 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2235.
PP111.13 - Victorian lawn house/gazebo. Pilgrim's Rest (Mountain Lake Park, Md.). 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2240.
PP111.17 - Deer Park Hotel, annex wing. 1 item. Glass negative Z9.2244.
Negatives not printed:
Glass negatives, 8 x 10 in.
PP111.2 - Gump's Clothing (Laurel, Md.).
PP111.3 - Victorian home in trees.
PP111.5 - Mansard Victorian house in snow.
PP111.6 - Victorian frame farmhouse with windmill.
PP111.7-.8 - Victorian houses.
PP111.10 - Victorian home with willow tree.
PP111.12 - Hotel and tennis courts (Deer Park, Md.?).
PP111.14-.16 - Victorian house (Garrett Park, Md.).
PP111.18 - Old cabin and cows (Harper's Ferry, W.V.).
PP111.19 - Main Street (Laurel, Md.).
Film negative (nitrate)
PP111.20 - Street view, ca. 1925. Film negative ZN16.327. © 2001 Maryland Historical Society - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Internet Management - WEBNETT