- Media Center
- Library Overview
- Library User Information
- Collections Overview
- Library Catalog
- Programs & Services
- Research Resources
- Collections Online
- Rights & Reproductions
- Donations and Support
- Projects & Partnerships
- Library News & Updates
- At MdHS
- In the Classroom
- Adult Education
- MD History Q&A
- From your Computer!
- Plan a Visit
- Support MdHS
Reports to: Chief Curator
The Mission of MdHS:
The Maryland Historical Society seeks to illuminate the past, lend perspective to the present, and inform the future through the acquisition, preservation, and interpretation of manuscripts, archives, and objects that together form the fabric of Maryland History.
Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MdHS remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 objects and seven million books and documents, this institution now serves upward of 100,000 people through its museum, library, press, and educational programs.
MdHS seeks a highly motivated, dynamic individual to fill the position of Registrar. The Registrar will participate in all aspects of registration and collections management activities for the MdHS museum collection. This position will report to the Chief Curator and work closely with the Museum Exhibitions Manager, as well as staff in other MdHS departments, including Library, Education, Development, Operations, and Security.
The Registrar is a full-time position and includes benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
• Create and maintain paper and electronic records for objects, including acquisition, accession, provenance, location, and other records.
• Input and update collection data into collection database, PastPerfect, as needed. Provide and create database searches and reports as needed by all society departments.
• Manage all logistics and paperwork for incoming and outgoing loans (loan agreements; receipts; object checklists; crate and packing lists; packing, crating and transportation logistics; and courier documents).
• Assist in collections inventories.
• Assist in the routine care and maintenance of object storage areas, ensuring the security of collections, and monitoring environmental conditions in permanent storage.
• Assist with the unpacking and re-housing of the permanent collection as needed and with the handling, packing, and inspection of all objects entering or leaving the museum.
• Answer research inquiries about collections objects and facilitate visits from scholars and researchers who wish to view parts of the collection
• Assist Exhibitions Manger with gallery installations and deinstallations.
• Arrange access to the collection for MdHS staff and visiting scholars. Respond to research inquiries and other requests from institutions and the public.
• Supervise the work of volunteers and student assistants as needed.
• Arrange and work with outside contractors to coordinate packing/crating and shipping of objects for incoming and outgoing loans.
• Manage and assist in selected special projects and performs other related duties, as assigned.
• Work closely with contracted conservators.
• M.A. degree in Museum Studies preferred. B.A. in Museum Studies, History, Art History (Decorative Arts), or related field plus 3 years of related experience may be considered.
• Knowledge of accepted standards and practices for museum registration and collections management, as well as legal and ethical issues required.
• Experience with collections management databases, cataloging standards, and controlled vocabularies. Familiarity with PastPerfect software program is preferred.
• Must be technically literate including experience with collections management databases, file naming, online research, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to problem-solve, work independently and excel in a high performance, team-oriented culture.
• Strong writing and collaborative interpersonal skills.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and climb a step ladder.
• Valid driver’s license.
EOE. Resumes may be sent to:
201 West Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21201